Originally Posted By 590 Challenger
Originally Posted By Pale_Roader
Originally Posted By 590 Challenger

John Deere 14.04 lbs, Body Dia. 5.4”
Toyota 9.88 lbs, Body Dia. 4.5”
CS130 11.4 lbs, 5.25” (130 centimeters, it’s where it got its name)
Baby Denso 6.39 lbs, 3.75” body (little heavier in 80a mode)

Baby Denso would be great for the track, I really wouldn’t recommend it for street stip. A stock one makes 35-40 amps, I have special hand windings made to make them 80 amps and would be great for the track, hand winding is expensive and it won’t have the power at the idle or durability of the others. All can be made 1 wire, or 16 volt pretty easy.

My stock 70 Challenger alt weighs 13lbs... really not much ov a savings? I thought the Toyota ones would be lighter?

Could the 'baby' ones be that bad for the street? What if my car is running very little in terms ov options? Electric fuel pump, a stereo, heater, lights, wipers, etc... not much else.

The Baby one is like putting a big cam in your car, sure it will make power but only on the high end, at idle it won't make squat. Your car will be running off your battery until you bring it into higher RPM's. Also as you know alternators work from magnetizam. You can only magnetize something so much before it starts building heat. Putting that much power out of a small one would take a lot of magnetizam. Heat will make it less efficient (making it work even harder yet) and way more likely to burn up and fail. When your driving down the street it would be working much harder than a normal 80 amp, it will be try to make up the power your battery lost at the stop light where a normal one would have been making a charge. Great for drag cars

Damn... the idea ov losing almost 7lbs off the engine had me in fits there for a second...

Do they get smaller/lighter than the 9.88lb Toyota one?