Originally Posted By JohnRR
Originally Posted By Adam71Charger
I will now be looking for running motors when I do this sort of build again.

$183 to re-ring and put new bearings in a good motor has turned into $900 For new pistons, rods, rings, bearings, crank grind, not to mention $300 in machine labor to bore +30; hot tank; R&R cam bearings.

Sorry for your trouble but it turned into a $900 fiasco because you ran with bad advice ... look at it as an $$$ learning experience ... some jobs are better left to a professional.

Buying a running engine is not a guarantee for success, at least you now know what you have. Hopefully you didn't put the same deep in the hole, crappy cast pistons, back in the motor.

DEFINITELY a learning experience. Thing is with a lot of non running motors the sellers (understandably) dont want to go through the hassle of digging out the motor from their garage or car and removing main/rod caps for inspection when there is no guarantee of purchase. Plus its hard to argue with $400 for a complete engine and tranny. Better chance of running engine having good bearings though I think.

I think $900 is not bad for forged rods, crank and new 6pack pistons, & re-ring kit. True it was not what my original goal was, but in the long run Im getting better compression and more HP, and the engine will last longer