Originally Posted By moparx
Originally Posted By cjskotni
**UPDATE**

I pulled the starter and the battery cable. Once I cute the harness tape of off of it and compared to a known 4ga wire, I think these cables are 6ga! eek

I am guessing my 2ga upgrade should be way better than what I have...

Also, when I went to loosen the solenoid terminal, the whole terminal just fell out.

So I think I had two problems...failing connection and 6ga cables. Wow how did this thing ever start??

glad you found the problem ! up it's a common misconception that if the diameter of the[assembled] wire is bigger, it's better. unless you know for SURE, such as in a cut away sample, it's just a guess. look at jumper cables as an easily checked example. there are an amazing amount of 'em out there that look like the best cables you will ever need in two lifetimes. till you look at the connection where the cable wire meets the clamps. then you find out the insulation is five times bigger than it needs to be compared to the wire size. same goes for battery cables. lots of insulation [correct color and diameter] not so much wire inside. this applies to standard parts store replacements and reproduction items equally. you should spin over with ease now !
beer

Years ago when I had this problem the recommendation to go with "welding" shop cable was not only the gauge but amount of smaller gauge wires inside instead of less larger gauge wires inside the insulation...