Originally Posted By thehemikid
[quote=DaytonaTurbo]It is unfortunate you already spent money on that 727. An early 90's 518 transmission out of a dodge rwd truck/van would be the ticket for you. It's basically a 727 with a .70 overdrive gear. It will bolt straight up to a small block (perfect for that 408 stroker idea of yours) or mate to a big block with an adapter. The 518 could be made to fit under your car with a minimum of fabrication(shorter driveshaft, custom transmission mount, possibly some crossmember modification. Also the 518 has a superior overdrive gear to the .80 on the gear vendors. With the 518, you could do 4.10 rear gears and on the highway it would drive like a 727 with a 2.87 rear gear.

Either way, I would get your transmission choices nailed down, and worry about the rear end later.

Wish I would have know about that option back then. But I am happy with the 727. I think the Gear Vendors is .78, but yeah, it only makes a 4.10 drive like a 3.20

However, it looks like 518 is only one extra shift in the 3rd gear high range. Gear Vendors provides 1st over, 2nd over, and 3rd over. The drop down to 2nd over is supposed to be amazing for highway passing power, and the launch mode for 1st sounds like it adds launch speed without needing to jump up to 4.10 gears.