Even when I was racing, I would have considered myself a career test and tuner. I started out street racing my 63 Dodge, when I was 16, with occasional trips to the track to test it out. When I was 18 and 19(52 now), I won back to back track championships bracket racing at Green Valley Dragway. This was before transbrakes and delay boxes. Even though I won a lot, I KNEW bracket racing was NOT what I wanted to do. It was boring to me. The 63 just became a quest to see how fast it would go. Then I backhalved it and never finished it...........A few years later, the GTX graduated from ISCA show winner, to more of a track car, although all I did was take it to the track to see how fast it would go. The small tire stuff got popular around here and we had several tracks that jumped in and we had a small tire heads up series at 5 tracks. I won that 3 years. I won the Big Dog series at Music City twice. The NMCA and HOT ROD stuff took off and my car fit perfectly. I then started chasing the points with the HOT ROD series and won the points championship in 96 and finished in the top ten every year until 2000. Then came a two year stint driving an IHRA alky funny car. Have not really raced a car of my own since then, although have driven many types for various people, including a couple blown Pro-Mods, over the years and have had this position with HOLLEY now for 10 years...........So career test and tuner and go as fast as you can guy, is a title I am perfectly happy with............LOL!!!

Bracket guys seem to get upset with me when I say I don't like bracket racing and find it boring. I can't help it........I didn't really even like it when I was doing it and was good at it. It was just the only thing to do around here, until I decided just to "play" and have fun. I come by it honestly though. My dad had a SS/GA Challenger that was a national record holder for a couple years. He loved class runoffs and cared little for the "eliminator". We traveled to smaller tracks every weekend that still ran SS "classes" on a weekly basis. A legit NHRA super stocker was a terror on the smaller track scale and he won, a LOT. As those car counts got low and those tracks moved to "eliminator" type racing, or just bracket racing......he parked the Challenger and it never went down the track again. So I guess I got the mentality from him. Go as fast as you can, beat the other guy.......he despised "breakout" racing and as I said, elected to quit instead of do it

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 08/06/15 02:54 AM.