Originally Posted By ProSport
Thanks! To be honest the longest I've been on the highway is 30 minutes and that was enough for me lol. We are planning some cruises that are an hour each way so I'd really like to bring the RPM's down and as mentioned, the 500" motor doesn't care what gear is back there, it's an animal with 3.55's so I'm sure 3.23's would be fine, heck a 3.08 would be great but I've only seen 3.23 and old 2.76's available.

I had a friend that put 3.23's in his car and his converter would slip to 3800 just trying to drive around town since it was way too loose for highway gears and wasn't locking the converter up, that's why I'm thinking of tightening mine up some since I've already experienced some slip with 3 people in the car.

My last couple Mopars ran 9's in the 1/4 mile with 4.56 gears and 8" converters so this highway cruising stuff is new to me lol. I'm dying to get a GearVendors overdrive $$$.

iagree

A stroked big block don't need 355s on the street, I think 323s would be perfect also.

I made the mistake of putting 354s behind my 440/6 10 years ago and it don't need 354s, 323 or there a bouts would have been better. It ain't no SB.

Funny when I was young it was 411s for years, no ands, ifs or buts about it. Cars rarely ever saw the highways.

Then I went to 355s and 354s about 15-20 years ago.

Now I'm thinking 323s would be more my style, sucks getting old! laugh2

I even have set of 276s I am going to put in for messing around out at Bonneville along with some MT 30" tall tires, should be interesting. drive

I would also send your convertor to whoever built it if possible and have it made just for your combo...323 gear and all including the camshaft and all. If not the the guy who made it, many places can to do that for you.

I have had Coan Trans build me convertors and trans("street fighter" 727 trans used to cost 600 bucks plus a good core=deal. Convertor was extra but very reasonable, not like a racing convertor, way cheaper) for my 340 and my 440/6 for the street. They did a great job, never ever ever had such great performing trans, seem to match my combo perfectly and could not be happier. And now both of them are over 10 years old and still barking the tires on the upshift.