Hi All,

I am doing a rear disc brake conversion on my 68 Charger using a kit from Summit. The previous owner already had a conversion done, and it was using calipers and pads from a mid 70s Lincoln Mark IV, so there are already some Ford parts on there. You can see from the picture the part that the Calipers bolted into. I cut part of that off with an angle grinder, as it got in the way of the parts that came with the Summit kit.

I was able to install new inner axle seals and the disc brake conversion kit, however the passenger side axle has about a quarter inch of play, which is causing a lot of problems when I try to drive it.

I tried doing the adjustment as described in the service manual, but wasn't having much success. As some work on the axle has already taken place, I'm not sure I even have the necessary parts to do the adjustment.

If anyone has any tips I would very much appreciate it, or if you can tell from my pictures if I'm missing anything. I'm having a hard time since there was already work done on it, and I don't know if I have all the parts I need. If I can't adjust the axle play correctly, I think I may just remove the tapered bearings and put on green bearings.

8338435-axle1.jpg (87 downloads)