Quote:

Quote:

I have nothing against HEMIs or Wedges, have owned plenty of both. But it is like anything else, there is always a better "tool" for the job. If the "job" in question is a large cubic inch motor, a wedge is just a better choice and that's just the way it is. A HEMI chamber, is a HEMI chamber and it was designed for a smallish bore. So when you go to say a 4.560 bore HEMI, you either open the chamber some, or you have the same dome on your 4.560 piston, that you do on your 4.250 piston. They are somewhat hard to make compression in anyway, so if you do open the chamber for the larger bore, now it is REALLY hard to make compression. Compression in a HEMI consists of one thing, DOME and a lot of it. In a big motor that just means even MORE weight, to what is already about the heaviest rotating assy there is.

Guys who build 600+ inch HEMIs do it because they are HEMI guys and are looking to get all they can from that combination. And that's fine, good for them and if that is what they want, that's great. But if your goal is to make the MOST HP per inch that you can and your choice is a 650" wedge, or a 650" HEMI, the wedge will win out every time.........

Let me point out, this is NOT just a Mopar to Mopar comparison. This whole thread was started because a guy wanted to build a Mopar wedge, to compete with a Chevy wedge, and given the rules package, it was stated that it could NOT be done, which is true. So then all the HEMI worshipper start talking about that.

Horsepower is very simple..........It boils down to how much air you can move at a certain rpm. You think the A/HEMI guys turn their motors 10k because they want to, or think it sounds cool........hell no, its because they HAVE to, so the head will move the air. HEMIs have huge ports and flow lots of air, but not with low air speeds. That is why they respond so well to boost.

So now, lets say we have 650 inches and how much more air we need to move to make that extra power. Yeah, we make the port bigger and the bore is bigger, but you still need LOTS of air speed to generate the flow to make the power.

So, you take a wedge head that flows 550 and a HEMI head that flows 550, put them on the same size short block..........the wedge wins everyday, if by nothing more than a MUCH lighter rotating assy.

Monte

I know we are getting way off the OP topic but I'm guessing Monte that you are not considering the Prostock Hemi stuff a "hemi" head? Only the old and true Hemispheric chamber heads? Cause I'm pretty sure the Prostock Hemi stuff will out preform a Wedge head on a 650 platform.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't considering the Pro Stock heads in this explanation. Also, even though, the heads have been branded with the "Hemi" moniker, its more of a splayed valve head than a hemi.

Adriel Paradise
Substation Design Engineer III