Am dealing with an steering box issue on our 70 Challenger.

My question is: Are or should all PS steering boxes be fully interchangeable and identical between E Body and B Body K members.

I am trying to figure out why a Borgeson box that has been installed on the Challenger cannot be brought into proper 'toe' alignment without the need for one tie rod end to be 9/16 inch longer than the opposite one and even then the steering box shaft must be clocked some 60 degrees off top center in order that pitman arm ball joint will drop into drag link hole when toe is correct.

I am suspecting any of the following in order of importance.

1. Steering box not clocked properly on K member, either because of out of spec K member,,,,which I doubt or out of spec mounting ears on steering box.

2. Pitman splines on steering box out of spec.

3. Pitman splines on pitman arm out of spec. Just Suspensions arm.

4. Pitman arm itself is not to spec on its angle/shape from steering box to drag link.

All was well with stock box modified to Firm Feel specs. Additionally steering shaft that once was a straight shot into coupler, now requires a sharp angle in order to be inserted into it.

Been dealing with this some 9 months. Car drives well with some caveats,,,steering box not on top center, can turn car over 2 full revolutions of steering wheel one direction, less than 1 3/4 turns other, and a tendency to experience bump steer,,,not a severe issue the way I normally drive

Currently gathering information hoping to find the cause and solution for what the car is experiencing.

Have considered shimming the box, grinding off guide spline in pitman and cold bending pitman. None particularly attractive options.

I posted this in another thread that deals with a multitude of steering box issues, but think that this particular issue kind of gets lost there, hence a new post

8307941-image.jpg (127 downloads)
Last edited by Sxrxrnr; 10/21/14 11:30 PM.