Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline OP
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline OP
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Am dealing with an steering box issue on our 70 Challenger.

My question is: Are or should all PS steering boxes be fully interchangeable and identical between E Body and B Body K members.

I am trying to figure out why a Borgeson box that has been installed on the Challenger cannot be brought into proper 'toe' alignment without the need for one tie rod end to be 9/16 inch longer than the opposite one and even then the steering box shaft must be clocked some 60 degrees off top center in order that pitman arm ball joint will drop into drag link hole when toe is correct.

I am suspecting any of the following in order of importance.

1. Steering box not clocked properly on K member, either because of out of spec K member,,,,which I doubt or out of spec mounting ears on steering box.

2. Pitman splines on steering box out of spec.

3. Pitman splines on pitman arm out of spec. Just Suspensions arm.

4. Pitman arm itself is not to spec on its angle/shape from steering box to drag link.

All was well with stock box modified to Firm Feel specs. Additionally steering shaft that once was a straight shot into coupler, now requires a sharp angle in order to be inserted into it.

Been dealing with this some 9 months. Car drives well with some caveats,,,steering box not on top center, can turn car over 2 full revolutions of steering wheel one direction, less than 1 3/4 turns other, and a tendency to experience bump steer,,,not a severe issue the way I normally drive

Currently gathering information hoping to find the cause and solution for what the car is experiencing.

Have considered shimming the box, grinding off guide spline in pitman and cold bending pitman. None particularly attractive options.

I posted this in another thread that deals with a multitude of steering box issues, but think that this particular issue kind of gets lost there, hence a new post

8307941-image.jpg (126 downloads)
Last edited by Sxrxrnr; 10/21/14 11:30 PM.
Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1688785
10/21/14 11:34 PM
10/21/14 11:34 PM
Kings Beach, CA
T
tahoechallenge Offline
enthusiast
tahoechallenge  Offline
enthusiast
T

Kings Beach, CA
It seems that shimming the box would be the easiest, and the first thing to try. Maybe use the tapered washers made for I beam flanges? If it works well you could modify the steering box mount down the road.

Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: tahoechallenge] #1688786
10/21/14 11:57 PM
10/21/14 11:57 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
More than likely its another out of square Borgeson steering box.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1688787
10/22/14 01:37 PM
10/22/14 01:37 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
I believe the stock box mounting tabs are in the same plane but at different heights. Do the Borgeson tabs match the plane and depth of the stock tabs?

Looking at your angle, I can see where that offset multiplied at the end of the pitman/idler could require an offset of 9/16 on the tie rod

Shimming is not a bad situation and can even be required in stock box mounts to get the center link position set properly. Shims are occasionally required with spring hangers to adjust thrust, and some car makes require them for setting alignment. I'd shim before I'd start cutting or bending anything.

Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1688788
10/22/14 02:58 PM
10/22/14 02:58 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Sxrxrnr,

Could you look on the front center of your K-member and record the stampings numbers found there.

That will give the part number for that K-member. And number of the round coin if welded to the K-member?

Not all B and E body K-members are completely 110% identical. They will interchange, but there will be some differences in the steering box pad.

For instance:

Last edited by autoxcuda; 10/22/14 02:59 PM.
Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1688789
10/22/14 03:05 PM
10/22/14 03:05 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Am dealing with an steering box issue on our 70 Challenger.

My question is: Are or should all PS steering boxes be fully interchangeable and identical between E Body and B Body K members.

I am trying to figure out why a Borgeson box that has been installed on the Challenger cannot be brought into proper 'toe' alignment without the need for one tie rod end to be 9/16 inch longer than the opposite one and even then the steering box shaft must be clocked some 60 degrees off top center in order that pitman arm ball joint will drop into drag link hole when toe is correct.

I am suspecting any of the following in order of importance.

1. Steering box not clocked properly on K member, either because of out of spec K member,,,,which I doubt or out of spec mounting ears on steering box.

2. Pitman splines on steering box out of spec.

3. Pitman splines on pitman arm out of spec. Just Suspensions arm.

4. Pitman arm itself is not to spec on its angle/shape from steering box to drag link.

All was well with stock box modified to Firm Feel specs. Additionally steering shaft that once was a straight shot into coupler, now requires a sharp angle in order to be inserted into it.

Been dealing with this some 9 months. Car drives well with some caveats,,,steering box not on top center, can turn car over 2 full revolutions of steering wheel one direction, less than 1 3/4 turns other, and a tendency to experience bump steer,,,not a severe issue the way I normally drive

Currently gathering information hoping to find the cause and solution for what the car is experiencing.

Have considered shimming the box, grinding off guide spline in pitman and cold bending pitman. None particularly attractive options.

I posted this in another thread that deals with a multitude of steering box issues, but think that this particular issue kind of gets lost there, hence a new post

Do you have a stock ratio pitman or the longer Fast Ratio pitman on it?

Do you have your old pitman to compare the Just Suspension pitman to? Can you borrow a used pitman from someone else to compare to?

Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1688790
10/22/14 04:08 PM
10/22/14 04:08 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
This isn't a big mystery, we solved it a few months back. The boxes are tweaked. If you swapped in a factory box for reference, you'd find everything lines up perfectly and all is right in the world. We had to shim the drivers-side mounting tab with 2 williams washers to get it right. On that note as well, the owner of the car called us after a few hundred miles of driving and the pitman arm nut had completely backed off and fell off the car. He purchased and new nut, re-torqued it to the required torque and staked it to ensure the nut wouldn't fall off. Well wouldn't you know it, the nut has backed off/gotten loose 2 more times as the pitman arm has worked itself in and loose then traveled UP the shaft on the box. Every time he tightens it, the pitman arm seats higher and he gets more thread engagement.
Good Stuff.

Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1688791
10/22/14 05:01 PM
10/22/14 05:01 PM
Massachusetts
S
Sneke_Eyez Offline
enthusiast
Sneke_Eyez  Offline
enthusiast
S

Massachusetts
Quote:

This isn't a big mystery, we solved it a few months back. The boxes are tweaked. If you swapped in a factory box for reference, you'd find everything lines up perfectly and all is right in the world. We had to shim the drivers-side mounting tab with 2 williams washers to get it right. On that note as well, the owner of the car called us after a few hundred miles of driving and the pitman arm nut had completely backed off and fell off the car. He purchased and new nut, re-torqued it to the required torque and staked it to ensure the nut wouldn't fall off. Well wouldn't you know it, the nut has backed off/gotten loose 2 more times as the pitman arm has worked itself in and loose then traveled UP the shaft on the box. Every time he tightens it, the pitman arm seats higher and he gets more thread engagement.
Good Stuff.

Wow, that is not confidence inspiring at all.
Guess I am firmly sold on a Firm Feel now.

1969 Satellite Wagon - G3 Hemi Swap Incoming. | 1969 Coronet Post Coupe.
2002 Intrepid ES | 2009 Ram SLT | 2004 300M Special | 2002 300M Pro Am - Hers

Are you a New England Mopar Enthusiast?
Come check out the revived NorthEast Mighty Mopar at www.northeastmightymopar.com
!
Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1688792
10/22/14 05:08 PM
10/22/14 05:08 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Quote:

Good Stuff.

is he running another aftermarket pitman arm? Just curious, seems the thread engagement issues coincided with aftermarket arms IIRC.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: 72Swinger] #1688793
10/22/14 05:13 PM
10/22/14 05:13 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Good Stuff.

is he running another aftermarket pitman arm? Just curious, seems the thread engagement issues coincided with aftermarket arms IIRC.

Well they are all aftermarket. You mean certain brands?

Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: 72Swinger] #1688794
10/22/14 05:34 PM
10/22/14 05:34 PM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline
pro stock
dangina  Offline
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Good Stuff.

I've put on the stock arm and moog arm, same problem

Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: dangina] #1688795
10/22/14 05:37 PM
10/22/14 05:37 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Yes we did cover that, the arm loosening is a huge issue. It the arm or the shaft causing it ?

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: 72Swinger] #1688796
10/22/14 05:44 PM
10/22/14 05:44 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Sorry typed incorrectly earlier; the shims went on the passenger side tab (2 bolts). I haven't had a chance to investigate the car, as the owner lives about 200 miles from the shop. He posts here regularly; I'll shoot him a line.

Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: 72Swinger] #1688797
10/22/14 06:23 PM
10/22/14 06:23 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Yes we did cover that, the arm loosening is a huge issue. It the arm or the shaft causing it ?

There is a relationship between the nut loosening, threads exposed passed nut, and height of the pitman end. I think the postion and/or profile taper of the splines is not right.

That's a different issue than the rotatioinal position of the splines that is the primary concern of the orignal poster; Sxnr though.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 10/22/14 06:25 PM.
Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: autoxcuda] #1688798
10/22/14 07:03 PM
10/22/14 07:03 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Seems all the small shaft boxes have good spline and thread engagement but the large spline have most all had issues. Could it be that the large spline have a different amount of taper from the factory and Borgeson is not compensating or aware of this? Just grabbing at straws here.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1688799
10/23/14 12:00 AM
10/23/14 12:00 AM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline OP
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline OP
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Had a tough day today. I had removed original Borgeson a couple of days ago,,,after removing battery, it's tray, MSD box etc. and as with a Chinese puzzle managed to wiggle it out. Had been installed while K member was out of car.

Noted when removing mounting bolts that the came out very hard, as though cross threaded. Sure enough when I went to check out the original 12 point bolts, even without box in the way, they would go in very hard. Knew this was bad, spent a couple hours doing thread chasing and buying some grade 8 6 point bolts. Finally got this all sorted out and mounted box and pitman arm.

No difference, flat spot on input shaft still at 11 o'clock, never moved tie rod ends(remember left side 1/2 inch longer than right). Front wheels had not been moved.

So did some shim checking,,,,,looks as though will require 5/16 shims on engine side 2 bolts,,,,this will bring box to top center with flat spot at 9 o'clock.

Tie rod ends I will worry about later. I am exhausted and frustrated. These boxes are definitely clock wrong on their mounting ears.

More tomorrow after I get some shims,,,just have box pried out on engine side with pry bars.

Watching series now and having a bite to eat.

Thanks everyone for tips and moral support.

Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: autoxcuda] #1688800
10/23/14 04:11 AM
10/23/14 04:11 AM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline OP
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline OP
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Will check out your questions tomorrow. Do not have another pitman to compare,,,however given odd angle of steering shaft into coupler( I have seen photos posted by other members of this same phenomenon), I tend to agree that this is a box that has not been designed to or built to spec and is likely not a pitman issue.

Pitman on car is not fast ratio.

I have looked without success for a standard ratio pitman without 'Judas Spline' or master spline as commonly called. Does anyone know of one.

Shims will likely give me enough to center box top center, less likely to be able to shim enough to equalize tie rod ends to same length(s) without compromising integrity. Will see how it goes however.

Can anyone explain what so called 'bump steer' impact that non equal length tie rod ends might cause me if I were not to expend effort to bring them to same length. Also would this cause different turning radius's left or right, or is this purely a function of an off top center steering box. Steering geometry has always been a bit of mystery.

Anyone ever regret that they never left well enough alone? The FF was a pretty darn good box!

Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1688801
10/23/14 04:56 AM
10/23/14 04:56 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I have looked without success for a standard ratio pitman without 'Judas Spline' or master spline as commonly called. Does anyone know of one.

Someone PM'd me about that in your situation. And there are only 36 splines. Then you do the math.

So he said:

"...You mentioned eliminating the master spline so the pitman can be clocked where you need it…. Well there are 36 splines so each step is 10 degrees so assuming the pitman arm is 8” each tooth moves the outboard end 1.4” that’s a pretty big adjustment… "

Quote:

Can anyone explain what so called 'bump steer' impact that non equal length tie rod ends might cause me if I were not to expend effort to bring them to same length. Also would this cause different turning radius's left or right, or is this purely a function of an off top center steering box. Steering geometry has always been a bit of mystery.

You mentioned on the other thread it was about 1/2" off center. Yes that will change some bumpsteer. I really don't think it will be enough to notice. When the factory installed "T/A fast ratio steering" with the longer pitman arm only, that also changed bumpsteer. Have you heard anyone complain about those cars having bumpsteer?

Moving the inner tie rod point up and down has a much great effect on bumpsteer than moving the point left and right.

For as far as you got into this adding some shims to help certainly isn't a ton of effort since everything taken apart and tools are ready.

Your factory setup does not have perfect bumpsteer. Even when you adjust for bumpsteer with an accurate dial indicator bumpsteer gauge, you usually never get a 0.000" toe steer change. And many time when you improve compression or extension, the other condition changes for the worse.

This is a bumpsteer check on my Barracuda with a Longacre bumpsteer gauge:

Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1688802
10/23/14 05:26 AM
10/23/14 05:26 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Quote:

Had a tough day today. I had removed original Borgeson a couple of days ago,,,after removing battery, it's tray, MSD box etc. and as with a Chinese puzzle managed to wiggle it out. Had been installed while K member was out of car.

Noted when removing mounting bolts that the came out very hard, as though cross threaded. Sure enough when I went to check out the original 12 point bolts, even without box in the way, they would go in very hard. Knew this was bad, spent a couple hours doing thread chasing and buying some grade 8 6 point bolts. Finally got this all sorted out and mounted box and pitman arm.

No difference, flat spot on input shaft still at 11 o'clock, never moved tie rod ends(remember left side 1/2 inch longer than right). Front wheels had not been moved.

So did some shim checking,,,,,looks as though will require 5/16 shims on engine side 2 bolts,,,,this will bring box to top center with flat spot at 9 o'clock.

Tie rod ends I will worry about later. I am exhausted and frustrated. These boxes are definitely clock wrong on their mounting ears.

More tomorrow after I get some shims,,,just have box pried out on engine side with pry bars.

Watching series now and having a bite to eat.

Thanks everyone for tips and moral support.

the flat spot on input shaft is not at 9 o'clock when pitman is centered and steering wheel is centered on my car either. It is at 11ish. I asked Peter about this back when I installed mine and he said just center steering wheel where I want it and lock it down.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: B body and E body K member steering box mounting. [Re: 72Swinger] #1688803
10/23/14 06:39 AM
10/23/14 06:39 AM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline OP
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline OP
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Among other things, I was told this too. I knew it was wrong then as did my alignment tech. If the flat spot on input shaft is not at 9 o'clock, in my opinion your box is off top center when straight ahead.

How is your toe?

Does your shaft have a straight shot into coupler, or does it hit at the classic odd angle that seems common to these boxes? If so that is likely a clue that all is not right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2