Quote:

The Facts

The last quarter of 2013 I had transported the Challenger to a shop(E Bodies Only) in Madera, Ca., some 150 miles from my home to have the engine removed in order to install a roller cam and Edelbrock heads. Car has TTI headers and I felt easier to pull engine, additionally to do a full tear down inspection to do an spark plug oil fouling analyses.

While engine was out, felt was a good time to upgrade to a Borgeson steering box,,,I already owned one for our 71 Corvette, but had not yet installed.

Ordered steering box, coupler and hose adapter from Bergman after reading Mopar Action article. Ed, owner of E Bodies installed on K member and engine re-installed. He told me that I should have front end alignment done. He had no reason to call Bergman.

When I returned Challenger to my home near San Jose I took it to Borreli Motor Sports whom I feel are as good as it gets in suspension services.

http://borellimotorsports.com/newsite/

Dave, chief technician attempted to align front end and immediately noticed a potential problem that with wheels dead ahead that pitman arm was not pointed correctly.

At least 3 times he pulled pitman arm, turned steering wheel lock to lock, divided by 2 as noted in my earlier post,,,and insisted something was not right,,,could not toe car without running out of threads on tie rod, additionally taking steering box off top center too in order to get correct toe

I then called Borgeson. He spoke to a tech to no benefit except be told that he was doing something incorrect. He did set toe, drove car 3 different times, telling me that box was off top center and 1 tie rod was 1/2 inch or so longer than other and the consequences of each. I told him that I will discuss with Bergman and Borgeson, paid a 300 invoice and left.

Over seceding days I had several telephone conversations and email exchanges(I have copies of all) if anyone cares) with Peter and Borgeson. I requested in several of these exchanges that they have a 3 way 5 minute conference call with Dave of Borrelli,,,Dave was in agreement,,,,Bergman and Borgeson refused,,,assuming I would guess that he was unqualified and any issues was his error.

Peter suggests that I now remove box and send to Borgeson for analyses,,,of course car is down for several weeks. Even this offer was never made earlier on as it was his and Borgesons opinion that this was all user error.

Reminds me of what was somewhat common knowledge in my many year career in the large scale IBM mainframe world. "It is not a recognized IBM bug until every user has reported it twice".

Some months back I had several more conversations with Borgeson. They by now had come to the conclusion that what I was experiencing was possibly their problem. I asked that they send me a replacement box,,,as noted earlier I volunteered to provide a CC deposit. Instead they told me to buy a new box and send in the faulty one and if returned box was faulty, they would return cash expended on the replacement.

Naturally if they 'determine' not their box at fault, I am out another 800 dollars in addition to all other money's I have expended,,,plus the months of aggravation this experience has cost.

There is likely not a member of this forum that had not gone thru the exact same experiences with poorly, manufactured by the lowest bidder stuff that is marketed and sold as of the finest quality. And of course each and every time it occurs it is often the end user or the shop that installed it that absorbs the often very large cash outlays that must be expended to resolve.

Additionally often be the target of barbs that we are a bunch of malcontents.

I would also suggest that those vendors who may complain of their unruly customers who are at times unhappy with faulty products or services,,,they too are often on the receiving ends themselves,,,,think Comcast, Directv, the DMV or post office. We all only want the products and services we paid our hard earned moneys for.

Many successful companies have figured this all out,,,not only they but their customers have greatly benefited.

Seems like a very competent shop you had do the alignment.

They (Borgenson) can't fix your box unless they have it.

Sounds like you wanted/implied-for a new box sent out to swap your old one, then send you old one back so you had no down time??

Last edited by autoxcuda; 09/23/14 07:20 PM.