Quote:

I had a little bit of a scare Monday night. When the motor blew last fall I didn't see any water in the diaper or pan so I assumed the damage didn't get into the water jackets. We pulled the header bolts out of the front and back of the headers as they held the diaper strap brackets to get the diaper off at the track so it wouldn't leak oil on the road all the way home (since it was holding 9Qts of oil). But after we got it home and let it sit for a week, when we went back out pull the motor I noticed there was some water/anti-freeze on the floor mixed in with the oil... We assumed it was coming from the header bolts but need to make sure.

So after we pulled the block and took it to the machine shop we pressure checked it and it held pressure so that's where is must have came from.

So Monday as we are about to put the motor in, I put the diaper on as it's easier to do before you get it in the car and look in the header bolt holes and they all appeared to be blind/solid holes.... (so now I'm questioning if we pressure checked it correctly... if they are blind hole where did the water come from, I have this motor completely assembled, pre-oiled and ready to put in and start this weekend.... am I just going to start it and find out the block is damaged and I'm going to have water in the oil....)

I mentioned this to a friend that was in the shop rebuilding my tranny and he took a look and he pointed out that there was a pin hole on the back/bottom of the front passenger side header bolt hole so I took another look and whew, there it was so now I feel much better now that I know where the water came from. It's just really hard to see. I typically put some silicon on the front and back header bolt just from the past with other heads but that was just out of habit and not because I thought I needed to...

2 of my header bolt holes on my current Indy -1 go into water. I believe they're supposed to be blind. I sealed them with no issue.
Doug