Quote:

I love the idea of a gear vendors. Not that it would stop me from getting one, but it would be nice if there was an option to make it a truly automatic six speed..... as in you put it in drive and thats the last time you touch it, a seemless marriage of the GV and your existing transmission. Not easy mating up the electronics in the GV to the mechanical shifter but it would be pretty cool

I know what you're saying...And in theory it sounds like a good thing...But in my case {500hp 6bbl,727TF and a 4:10 dana} or anyone close to that combo here's the catch...All that shifting would slow me down !! I {or the computor} could'nt possibly shift and split gears fast enough to make it worthwile... Torque and towing applications would be different...

Reminds me of when I was in the army and the new 915 tractors came out... 500 hp and a 16 SPEED automatic trans !!! I was testing them at Fort Dix NJ...Pulled out in 7th gear bobtailing smashed the throttle and the turbo kicked in... And it never stopped shifting...Bang,bang,bang, bang up through each gear a few seconds at a time...It actually held the tractor back from it's top performance... When the army released the tractor for use it was re-engineered with a 6 speed auto trans with a better span between shifts...

Anyhow...As stated the foot switch will drop it out of OD if needed for passing or whatever...For me basically if I'm doing a normal,civil pass on the highway I drop it out of OD ease the throttle and motor around the vehicle then reingauge OD when called for...But on the other hand I've been known to just leave it in OD,kick the 6bbl in and let the part throttle kickdown take me for the ride...

That's the fun of it...Experimenting...It's very simple to use and most that don't have one want to overestimate it's simplicity...For me the footswitch seems very natural and easy to use...