Quote:

What often gets overlooked in these "mine is better than yours" debates, is that all 9" Fords and all 8.75s are NOT created the same. You would NEVER consider putting a small pinion 8.75 out of an A-body in anything with power, same as you wouldn't put a low line stock 9" in anything with power. The difference is that the BEST 8.75 from the factory, does not approach the strength of the BEST 9" from the factory. The FACTORY 9" that came in Cobra-Jet Mustangs and the like had the BIG web 9" housing, with a nodular center, 31 spline axles, big brakes and a locker.

While I realize the chances of finding one of those in a bone yard THESE days is pretty slim, it does still happen and at one time it was pretty easy. I can remember in my younger days going junkyard scrounging for the nodular centers with lockers, because they also came in some trucks and vans. At one time I had about 20 factory nodular sections that I had gotten from scrap yards for around $50 a pop. The factory Nodular centers are REALLY strong and with a good pinion support are about as good as an aftermarket one. The big bore, 3.06 ones will take up to a 35 spline axle as well.

You CAN still find them in some out of the way "country" junkyards. I found a nodular center with 4.10s and a locker out of an older Ford truck in a bone yard just last year.........gave $25 for it.....LOL!!. Same guy sells me big web 9" housings for $10. He says the "hot rod" guys buy the small web 9" housings that look like an 8.75 because they are "prettier" for street rods and such. So he saves me all the "ugly" housings......lol!!

Monte

Hey Monte, wanna sell me one of those "cheap" junkyard setups for my heap.....

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....