Quote:

You said something just does not feel right? Well, I've built several T/A engines and several other 340 Hyd cam adjustable rockers combinations and here is something you really need to check.I have found that when you surface the heads, deck the block, do a valve job or especially a combination of these, it throws off the push rod geometry of these engines. The stock factory push rods for a T/A engines are right on the verge of being to long from the factory. You do any of these things in a normal rebuild, and you will have the cup end of the push rod interfere with the bottom of the rocker!

I had a bud who had a T/A engine built buy his local sprint car engine builder. He could not wait for me to build it. I gave this same warning before the engine was assembled and got a " I know what I'm doing response". The completed engine ran like crap and the lifters rattled all the time. My bud was even warned by the engine builder to " do not let Mark mess with it because HE had the correct pre-load on the lifters". After several months of the " I did it right" from the engine builder, my bud finally asked me to look at it. Yes, some of the push rods were hitting the rockers and still had too much pre-load. A new set of push rods and 1/2 turn of preload and it ran properly. I have found that Isky makes a push rod that is a little shorter than the stock push rods and works great. It is either 1309 or 1310, if my memory serves me correctly. One is hyd and one is for solid lifters. If your adjusters don't have a couple of threads showing below the rockers, then they may be too long.

Just a warning from an experience T/A builder.

Thank you, I was watching for that because I have seen it before on solid engines. The machine work was done before me but none of the receipt indicate resurfacing but that was 25 years after birth so who knows. The push rods are also new and unidentified but appear chrome moloy. The intake push rods are fine due to the angle, the exhaust ones are tighter but I think still have plenty of room. I have watched it through the motion and it seems OK. I may hook up a starter and take it through the motion faster and then pull a couple to look for contact. A great caution though so thanks again.

Careful, your character's showing!