Built the engine for my AAR this week end, pretty much a stock build except it is running a hydraulic purple shaft with the original adjustable rocker arms. In the past I have either run non-adjustables with hydraulics or a solid lift cam. When I have done brand X motors with shaft style rockers I roll the push rod between my thumb and forefinger and simply tighten them until I feel resistance. I tried that this evening it didn't feel right, no real spring pressure. I ended up backing them off until the plunger was on the clip and then tightened it little to get a some clearance between the plunger and the clip. It I correct in my thinking I will be fine as long as I am in the plunger action but not deep enough for them to bottom out. Still just not comfortable, since the break in is fire it up and run it at 2000 rpms for 20 minutes it is critical that I have them adjusted right from the get go.

So with that said how do YOU do it to be safe and of course get the best performance. I have always heard loose valves equals more power at higher RPMs.

Thanks in advance, Kevin

7960265-photo.JPG (198 downloads)

Careful, your character's showing!