Quote:

Disagree about a long rod killing off power, that isn't true at all.
In fact the guy who owns my old car has been 9.62 at 140 with it at 3200 pounds on super stock springs and 28by 10 DOT tires. That is with off the shelf headers and a 727 trans.
Don't know of many, if any, similar W5/ Indy combo's that run any better.

To the OP, we're it me I would mill the heads if you have flat tops to raise compression, run a cam to match the compression, and swap the 727 you have already for a 904 .
The tranny swap should be good for 1.5 tenths, and a little more cam and compression will knock another 2 or 3 tenths out of it easily.
I would be willing to bet another another point in compression( to 12.5 compression) the correct cam, and the 904 would get the car into the 9's.
This all assumes the heads are good.
If anything those heads have a bit more potential than W5 head, which has smaller valves and less cross section.
Doesn't take anything special to get an A body in the 9's with a roller and Indy heads

Good running combo 4 sure.............. Can that car be driven the said 700 miles round trip?

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....