Quote:

Quote:

okay, if you say so it must be true. I've only bought a few cranks over the counter at a Plymouth dealership and none of them had balance holes in them.

So I guess back in the day "Joe the dealer mechanic" at the small town dealership went to the parts room to get a replacement crank for 383 or 400 and the parts room guy would say "here's your crank, Joe, but you'll have to find somebody to balance it....nearest place is 100 miles away".

Okay, I'm convinced...not.

Quote:

So in the end what your saying is that a forged internal 383 crank would have been balanced exactly the same as a cast crank external balance 400 crank

Never said anything of the sort...what I said is that the FORGED crank for a 383 is the same as the FORGED crank for the 400 as evidenced by the same part number. If the bobweight that the crank was balanced to was significantly different for each they would be different cranks and would have gotten a different part number....they didn't.

I don't understand how both cranks can be the same part number since they both have a different stroke from the other. Can you post a copy of the parts information your talking about? A 383 is 3.375 stroke and a 400 is 3.380 stroke. Granted it's only .005" different but i don't believe they used the same part number crank for both engines. I will however believe it when you prove it to me.

machine shop owner and engine builder