Quote:

Quote:

You could spend yourself poor at the machinist to reinvent the whole thing, or you could spend a few hundred on pistons. I've driven myself bats with the math on this puzzle... just buy the damn pistons!

That said... i have a No-buck zero-deck 400 ready for the rebuild in my shop. Found a standard bore re-cond. 400 at the junkyard, free in trade. Had some .030" over 440 pistons (stock low comp, perfect comp ht. for lowdeck) kicking around. Enough rods to build a V700, and a couple steel 383 cranks. Bore the 400 to just 4.35", flycut the pistons, balance it all and pow! Zero-deck/steel crank/balanced 400 to go with some nice 516 heads and .040" quench. Total cost? $125 + machining/balancing. Kinda hokey... but i bet it screams.

All that and not one use of your sillyass ov ... ..

Did you add valve notches to those pistons? If you didn't don't get crazy with your cam choice.

DAMMIT!!!!!

I'll try harder next time. I WILL, i promise!

Flycut pistons (for valve clearance). Yes, part ov the budget (see?? see???). And that actually was the hangup that back-burnered the whole deal for now... flycutting the pistons. I'm too lazy to get that neat Isky tool and do it myself, and my machinist was too far away for the back and forth needed to get it going. No way i'd put together a neat combo like this and limit myself on cam size.

I wish there was a standard template for flycutting a piston for valve notches. Something that didn't require giving him the entire pile or assembling it to figure it out. Or maybe i'm overthinking things?

The whole point with this combo was NOT to succumb to the 'might-as-wells'...