Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

John, 71 was the last year for the 383 and as you know, 72 was the first year for the 400. It stands to reason they wanted to deplete the old 383 cranks. I think we all know they'll physically interchange dimensionally. That does not mean that the component weights were the same. At the factory all they had to do was drill the counterweights differently.

I understand that but the crankshaft was individually balanced to a set bobweight, if the 400 bobweight was that much different than the 383 they would have given the crank a different part number and a different balance but they didn't...so a parts room 2268114 crank would have been supplied as a direct replacement for either the 383 or the 400.

Quote:

The pistons are not close enough in weight to just swap cranks from a 383 to a 400 and not rebalance it.

Again, depends on how much imbalance is considered "too much"....evidently the factory thought it wasn't enough to warrant a different part number.

A crankshaft bought over the counter did not have balance holes drilled in it. Aside from that, how many forged crank 400's were ever built? I've never seen one.

If you have ever seen a 400 that had a manual trans behind it, it had a forged crank in it. Lots of trucks for sure.

Kevin