I realize that similar topics have been posted in the past, but rather than piggy-back on an older post, I thought it might be better to start a fresh one. I have searched this sight and others for info, and have read everything I could find. I am "restoring/updating" the 1970 Rallye gauge cluster that the prior owner installed back in 2003. I successfully removed everything including the switch panel from the dash (thanks to the advice/knowledge I gained from this site). I also disassembled everything (see attached photos of individual components). The cluster and instruments/gauges are in excellent condition. However, the clock hasn't worked since I've owned the car (6.5 years; and probably has not worked for long before that); and the prior owner had installed an Auto-Meter Tach (looked like s**t). Several years ago, I bought: a restored original 8K Rallye Tach (can't remember from who); a solid state quartz movement for the clock; new light tubes and lenses; new woodgrain faceplates. I'd like to do as much as I can myself to save on cost. I know the Tach will need to be updated/converted to solid state in order to work with my MSD style ignition box; I'll also need a solid state voltage limiter; I want to have the Ammeter converted to a Volt Meter; and the fuel, temp and oil gauges should be calibrated. All orange needles need to be repainted due to fading (except for the Tach which is fully restored). Fortunately for me, I live 20 minutes from Redline Gauge Works. I visited them last week and showed them high res photos (on my laptop) of my individual components, and we discussed what they could do, and for what price.

Following is my "take-away" from that visit.

What I will do:

(1) Install the new woodgrain faceplate to the gauge/instrument cluster plastic bezel. Redline doesn't really do that (but they did do it once??); and when they build new Rallye clusters for customers, they buy the bezels with the faceplates already installed. *** Any recommendations on this installation will be greatly appreciated *** I read another post where someone described bending the faceplate around a 3/4" pipe. http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44460.0 Is this really the best way?
(2) "Restore" the switch cluster. Basically, clean it up, repaint the switch knobs and lever, and install the new woodgrain faceplate. *** Any recommendations on this installation ***; as well as correct paint for the headlight toggle switch lever, wiper switch knob, and dimmer switch knob will be greatly appreciated.

What Redline will do: (I think all service and parts come with a 2 year warranty)

*** All needles will be repainted (except Tach, as it is a fully restored instrument)

(1) Speedometer "repair" = $180. This is a recommendation from Redline. I explained to them that the speedo looks like it's brand new. They said it's best to take it apart and check and re-lube everything. I don't know that a full price "repair" is in order. Thoughts??

(2) Tach Conversion to solid state = $200. I have no questions here. They don't use RTE or PDD boards, or MSD adapters. They have their own conversion approach. I'd rather have it done by professionals, rather than trying to do it myself. I have read where others have done this fairly easily using the above mentioned conversion options, but I feel it's best to leave this to those who have done it for years.

(3) Solid State Voltage Limiter = $43. I have no questions here.

(4) Calibrate: Fuel, Oil, Temp Gauges = $40 (1/2 hour labor). I have no questions here.

(5) Quartz Clock Conversion = $80 (1 hour labor). I have no questions here. They will use my part (same ones they use), and just charge me labor for install.

(6) Amp to Volt Meter Conversion = $160. I have no questions here. This should be done considering the power hungry non-stock add-ons (i.e. audio system, etc.). Besides, it's just simply a safer alternative.

(7) Assembly and Detail = $80 (1 hour labor). I have no questions here. This includes polishing the clear plastic gauge/instrument cluster lens.

Total Redline cost = $783.00

*** I am also looking for help/info on installing the new indicator lenses (left, right, brake).

*** Any feedback about any aspect of this project is greatly appreciated. Thanks.