Quote:

Every shop these days uses a Hines computer balancer that is easy to use and very very accurate. Grinding a gram or two off new nice rods is just not done--take em out--weigh them up and go with it--a few grams is way closer than anything but the space shuttle--pistons are always close enough too.
Prove to me that a few grams one way or the other made or ruined any combo , even a modern Prostock and I will give you my house!
They may sell China parts that do need looking at but I can teach a 6th grader to do great balance work on a Hines in about 6 hours!--They are all spin and drill--Heavy metal is almost never used anymore--spin it, drill two 3/4 inch holes a half inch deep and you wind up spending more time cleanning it after than balance time--it is a no brainer to get one Nascar close. Look at your pistons and rods, if they have holes and grinding you are dealing with a shop that does more harm than good if we are talking aftermarket parts ( stock rods are a different tale) SCAT makes some of the best done right stuff out there for the average guy--the rods they sell are usually Dead On--Cranks are designed for Target bob weights and are easy to balance unless you are building a turd combo--yes..check pinfit, crank size, taper etc but then what ya gonna do? Regrind the crank? Get pins right , don't worry about the rest if it is decent close. Relax, it is not that hard. Loose is good.....tight, she no gonna work! That is the key. Most folks can't run a mic well enough to check taper in a crank--when Eagle and the rest first started years and years ago with China--it was all junk but now--we have Americans ther to mill wright it all and have shown them over the years what we expect--those parts have gotten WAY better as time has passed--Way better! Scat is the brand I love--Eagle --ehhh, Oh yes Callies is great but the price!!

What if I told you Eagle and Scat came off the same boat from the same port in Hong Kong ? Yes they have gotten a lot better over the years and thats great. The reason they have gotten better is the work the importer Paul Weisner has done with the manufacturer etc, he also has crank grinders in Hong Kong as well as in Southern Cal where all pasrts are staged, and checked. rods are matched to the closest set weight and cranks are checked with mics before shipping to Scat and Eagle. Back in the late 90's Paul told me they were shipping Eagle a million dollars a month in cranks and rods. I know styles in parts have changed a little and in all they are much better parts. On one of my visits Paul had small parts all over his desk, after viewing I looked at him and said you have been doing a lot of metalurge haven't you ? Paul just smiled and said I've been doing a lot of testing to improve all parts and looking a steel grain structures etc. Tenius Olsen tensile strength etc.

MLR426