Quote:

Skrews,,

What is the grind number of that Cam and what converter is that? The too tight for a 360 might be just right for a certain 414.

My own combo will be less than optimized due primarily to the chassis only fitting a 1 5/8" header. Not worth the $$$ to build something custom and I know these already fit...so. I bought the Airwolfs mainly so I could wring another 500 RPM out of the powerband and hopefully keep them for a later project. I did fit the headers with a larger 3 1/2" collector which should help a little but it's still far from Ideal. And with the header limit there's not much point putting a longer duration cam in it, but the Airwolfs do flow about 30 cfm better than my old heads even with the modest lifts....so maybe your cam ( or something similar to it ramped up another 6-8 degrees and installed straight up) with the higher lift but less seat to seat might make as much or more useable torque and power than my longer but lower Cam Motion 266/269 .585/.570 lift.

I think on your own motor I'd also be tempted to test a cam with another 6 degrees of .050 duration and put it it at 102, you could probably hit 600 with no appreciable loss of torque on the bottom. A 255 @.050 solid roller is typically just as streetable as a 249 and you can always loosen the lash a tad. The 3.58 stroke is pretty forgiving of a slight 'overcam' much more so than a 340's 3.31" stroke anyway. 249 is not particularly 'big' And the 255 would move the sweet spot up only about 200-300 rpm...Just 'tweaking out loud'.

You'll ALWAYS get a point of view on Moparts, but it's up to you to figure out what's useful and what's BS. Some really smart and experienced people on this site...and some that are....well, not so much. Notice I didn't use the word 'opinion', that's because the word (by definition) implies that everyone who gives an opinion is QUALIFIED to HAVE ONE!

I agree with Wise on both counts,,1 the cam tweeking sounds logical to me, but I am still learning the technical aspects of cams and all that go's along with it.
2.It's very hard to read somthing on an open forum like this and know just how a person is trying to get their point across, I have met some of these guys and found in person they are very personable and willing to help in any way,,reading some statements on here you don't always get that warm and fuzzy feeling, I for one appreciate what you are doing because you have gone several steps beyond what I did with my first stock stroke 360, and I mean stock, stock crank, stock rod's, hyper pistons and home ported J heads keep up the good work.

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.