Quote:

Wow what a good thread. Hot rod 101 is the heads. Every one that has anything to do with hot rods finds that out pretty fast but not always the nitty gritty thats devised from. I've looked at several head porters ads lots of times. Wondering what is or is not hype and what really counts.

Ultimately a lot of it is going to be the experience with a set of heads with that porter has.

I hope this stuff has shed some light on the mystic world of head porting

It's tough to go through those head porter ads, .. and as a porter, it's hard to write them without sounding like all the other hype. Brag about records or championships, well ya sound like a bragger, .. .. and God forbid you start to play the CFM numbers game that we all know is only 1/10 of the equation.

So, .. as a consumer, .. If you had to write an ad for my shop, ..
ex IHRA pro stock head porter, .. ex NASCAR, bla, bla ,bla .. now doing custom work, .. how would YOU write that ad????

On your experience comment, . . I kinda agree, and kinda don't.

One thing, most of the porters here seem to understand all the basic stuff, .. how to figure the proper port volume & cross section for an application, .. valve size, .. flow ratios.
With that info a good cylinder head guy can take a velocity map of a port and a calculator and build the proper port, .. even if he's never seen the head before. ( velocity map VERY important here )

The experience comes into play when it's , .. say a comp engine, ..
or a combo that you're trying to get that last 5 hp, .. or get it to 2.+ HP per C.I. then it takes some very advanced engineering skills as well as prior experience with that combo.

Curtis