I did a very similar build to yours on a 76 440. Stock pistons, new rings, 440source heads, lunati voodoo 60303 cam(not too far off from the "big" summit cam), headers.

Quote:

The cylinder bores have a slight ridge at the top. I was going to use a ridge reamer and then remove the pistons so I can just re-ring and re-use them.

Then use a ball hone to knock the glaze off the cylinders as prep for the new rings. basically wanting to freshen up the engine.

I didn't ridge ream. I had a bit of a ridge, enough to catch a finger nail on. With a small tap of a rubber mallet from the bottom, the pistons came out fine. I deglazed/honed with a basic 3-stone hone, though they say the flex/ball hones are better.

Quote:

What about the cam kit. Can I get away with just sliding in a new cam using the existing cam bearings?

Yes, you can leave your cam bearings in place. No point in changing them because they need to be pressed in/out by a machine shop or by you with a special cam bearing install tool. Not worth redoing unless you're going to bore the cylinders while you're at it.

Quote:

What size and type of rings should I order? I am thinking the ball hone will not take off hardly any material so standard size bore?

Hastings cast rings. Some guys will recommend moly, but on a backyard hone'n're-ring, I don't think it's a great idea. From what I've heard, regular cast rings are more forgiving to honing with an improper grit and a cylinder that's slightly out of round/taper than moly rings which want more of a perfect bore.

Quote:

As for the crank if there is no major damage I just plan on installing new rod and main bearings and then reinstall it.

Leave the stock bearings in place and run a HV oil pump. The bearing and journal wear together so replacing one without having the crank reground isn't the most useful thing IMO. If you're going to have the crank ground, you might as well have the cylinders bored and the block done while you're at it.

Quote:

Any tips regarding this overhaul would be great. Not wanting anything special with the build just something fun and cheap to get it on the road.

You best be running a 3.55 or numerically higher gear and a 2800rpm or higher stall converter. That big summit cam isn't too far off from that voodoo 60303 that I ran, and with 3.55 gears and a stock converter it was doggy in the bottom end until the rpms picked up. Recurve your distributor, that 440 is going to want a lot of initial timing because of the low CR and cam. Then start tuning your carb. It will run okay, but after having been down this road before I would just put the money towards a proper rebuild. Those stock mid 70's 7.5 compression pistons SUCK! Also, since the crank won't be drilled for your pilot bushing, you will have to run a pilot bearing off of a 90's dodge magnum v8 and cut down the tip of your 833's input shaft.