I purchased a complete 1975 440 engine from a local guy who yanked it out of a Chrysler New Yorker many years ago. He says it was running when he pulled it & has always kept it inside his garage.

I have tore the engine down to the shortblock to see what I am dealing with. The engine is standard bore with stock pistons,rods and crank. What I want to do is a cheap low buck overhaul for a low buck street cruiser project. Once I completely tear it down I will then clean it good with brushes,ets.

The new parts I will buy for low buck build

Piston rings
Complete Gasket set
Summit cam - slightly more than stock
Rod & Main bearings
Timing chain

The cylinder bores have a slight ridge at the top. I was going to use a ridge reamer and then remove the pistons so I can just re-ring and re-use them.

Then use a ball hone to knock the glaze off the cylinders as prep for the new rings. basically wanting to freshen up the engine.

What about the cam kit. Can I get away with just sliding in a new cam using the existing cam bearings?

What size and type of rings should I order? I am thinking the ball hone will not take off hardly any material so standard size bore?

As for the crank if there is no major damage I just plan on installing new rod and main bearings and then reinstall it.

Are there any technique or tips that anybody can offer concerning the ball hone and maybe slight prep of the crank for new bearings?

Any tips regarding this overhaul would be great. Not wanting anything special with the build just something fun and cheap to get it on the road.

This engine is going in a low buck 68 Charger 4 speed car.