Quote:

Quote:

That truck is an '84 which only came with small blocks.

Was the radiator upgraded when the engine was installed?

Even a stock 440 will need more cooling capacity than what was factory

installed in '84. A replacement radiator for a '78 440 truck should

cure your problem, get a max cool while you're at it.

Hmmm..... Yes, I am the culprit that ditched the 360 and transplanted the 440 - but I don't think I thought about the radiator size to cubic inch ratio; I did the swap in 2000 and then put the truck in storage while I went overseas so I don't remember much about it. I will have to go out and measure the darn thing! I'll update ya'll shortly.

you can swap in a rad from a 86 3/4 ton truck,it is same width but taller with 3-4 rows for max cooling on trucks.

also check to make sure the lower rad hose is not sucking shut as you increase rpms. this will make temps climb at speed choking off water flow and heat up,then as it opens back up under lower rpms it cools back down.

get a stainless steel welding rod and wrap it into a coil and slip it in the lower hose to keep it from sucking shut.

they stoped putting the spring in the lower hose to save a buck and supposedly the new rubber is stiffer these days and the spring is not needed.

I run a autozone alum/plastic replacement rad in my 88 440 truck and it stays right at 180*,I had the same trouble at first with the lower hose sucking shut. the spring in the hose fixed it.

I also have a new copper/brass rad for the 3/4 ton truck which is a lot taller and 3-row core, but it needs the bigger fan shroud that is made of metal before it goes in.

maybe you should try an acme replacement rad.