Quote:

Nothing to speak of really maybe 2-3 degrees of variation moving across the core in a row type pattern. I am thinking I need to sink the fan in a little closer to rad after looking more closey at things.

I would also like to get the trans cooler mounted independent of the rad core, I cant help but think that would help.

Also looked into different pulley diameters but I am not seeing anything out there in a stamped steel, stock type water pump pulley other than what was on all big blocks of that era. I need to research that more.

On the drive ratios, as original there was a "with AC" setup that provided overdrive and used a "with AC" WP and a standard setup without the overdrive and matching WP. The overdrive "with AC" was significant. Something like 20-25% from memory.

I wound up with about 7% WP overdrive using repop steel pulleys from Bouchillon on the accessories and a 6" aluminum 4 groove crank pulley from March. The standard steel crank pulley is 7" or 71/4" on most models. I used the smaller crank pullley to slow things down a little on my faster than stock spinning engine.

Reading the update on your testing... it sounds like it gets hot at idle and will not cool off on a roll. You have both "hot at speed" and "hot at idle". Temps on the radiator are pretty consistant so it doesn't have any obvious signs of blockage.

On a roll over 40 MPH, the fan basically doesn't matter. Since you have "hot at speed" there is something going on with the radiator, WP or engine itself. It sounds like the engine block was well cleaned so rule that out. Tuneup with mechanical advance OK. Vacuum advance would help. The high stall convertor and big cooler required adds to the heat load. Mounting the trans cooler independantly would take some stress off the radiator. It may help cooling a little but not a big impact.

How about some more specifics on the WP and radiator? Type and brand of WP and thickness and age and brand of the radiator? Did it always run hot or did it happen over time or after a change? I'm thinking your setup and location just has very high cooling requirements and you need a really high capacity radiator and WP to keep up.