Quote:

The 5x7” driver side 1/4-3/8” drop down stamped into the package tray will indeed physically interfere with most aftermarket quality 6x9” surround and woofer cones without the use of a spacer of some kind. Again most high end 6x9”s will come with a spacer thick enough for a flush mount but are not tall enough to provide clearance for a drop down stamping that would fit inside the circumference of the speaker frame. Clearly the OP is no longer referring to “regular” aftermarket single cone speakers that may or may not clear the drop down. Frankly, the correct approach, from a pure performance standpoint, would be to cut out the drop down and the smaller restrictive 5x7” opening anyway if installing a 6x9”. The area of the opening shouldn’t be less than the area of the woofer cone.
Still need a spacer? Stop by your local car stereo installation shop, they will likely have leftovers from previous installations in varying heights.

You are right on the money, 72roadrunnergtx. I want to make sure they clear the recess but also aren't spaced down 1 1/2" in the trunk. I think would look wierd....I know won't hurt but still...

I pulled the trigger and got a set if KENWOOD KFC-6993PS speakers. They seemed to have a nice fat spacer built-in that the other brands seemed to lack. In fact A LOT of the major brands looked like they would top-mount only!

I also found a guy on ebay who makes 1/4" spacers which I picked a set up to hopefully account for that recessed 5x7" opening.

I will let you know how it goes!