Quote:

Ditto on the "from underneath" on the newer speakers. I ordered speakers from Retro Sound and used the front dual 4X10, but the rear ones were "wimpy" and basically put them up on the shelf and bought more manly ones and mounted them from underneath.

When you got the better speakers and mounted them underneath, did they clear the recessed lip of the smaller 5x7 opening? Did you have to use spacers to do this?

I am thinking I may go the dual 6x9 route and do a bottom mount. I just want to know the speakers will clear without spacer use. Seems the spacers are all like 1" or bigger and I don't want these speakers pushed down that far if I can avoid it.

I saw the Retrosound 6x9's and they did look very wimpy with very tiny magnets...I was thinking they would be limited with how hard they would "hit" with those tiny magnets.

I like the idea of what 72roadrunnergtx did, and I thought about doing that but I wanted to keep my deck a bit more orignal. Now I may be wishing that I did that to get around this stupid 5x7 opening.