Quote:

I wiped out a Comp Cam too.... about 3 yrs. ago. Not only did my bearings look exactly the same, but the oil pump rotors were no better. I had to strip it down, tank it, and manually clean the passages. THEN proceed with machining...parts....money....time.... and tank it again and manually clean it....

And yes, my cam is a ticker too. Noisy SOB.... But ZDDP goes in every oil change. Best piece of mind.

Oil pump looked bad because unfiltered oil passes thru the pump before passing thru the filter.

Last build I had my hands in had a comp XE, it lasted 7 minutes into the break in , something didn't sound right and we stopped , good thing.

Put a Comp back in it but this time it was a custom grind speced by Dwayne Porter and paid the extra to have it nitrided , it was noisy on the breakin , checked it and everything looked good. I spent extra time adjusting the preload on every lifter and the last time I heard it run it was no where near as noisey as it was.

As someone else said , Comp has a large share of the market so it's only natural to have more failures .

If I buy any more Comp flat tappet cams they will be a custom, they are ground in house, and it will be nitrided .