rr, please take off the caps lock on your PC... It makes it easier to read. The reason it pinged is you had too much total advance. You can't just dial in initial and expect things to magically work. It's all a system.

So, you need to limit the mechanical advance to less than 20. Tell me what kind of distributor you have and we can fix that. Once the timing curve is properly set, the jetting can be addressed because it's probably lean as heck and that makes it ping too.

If the carb does not respond, there is something interfering, so try this... disconnect the throttle cable from the carb, then try it again. Your idle speed is set witht he center carb alone. But it's fairly common for me to find issues with the cable either being too short because of where its clamped and the carb is held open, or too long because of where its clamped and you dont get full throttle. So check to make sure the throttle can close all the way.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.