Quote:

HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE THE SPRING

To change the springs you have to take the screws out on the side of the distributor, gently pry the reluctor off the shaft and pull the plate out.
Mark the reluctor in relation to the shaft first with some paint or a pen. We had to do a bunch of welding on the slots to close them up for "superwrench". His car was WAY better after just welding the slots a bunch but it works kind of like a locked distributor curve with a built in spark retard for starting. Light spring that gives just enough tension to pull the weights back below 600-800 rpm. His car idles around 900 -1000 when racing so it works great for him and super responsive.

I'm not really sold on it being a timing thing though for you, unless you have the vac advance hooked up and it's on the wrong nipple.
Did I miss it or did you say what Cam was in your car and how much vacuum it makes? Usually what you describe is from too much of the advance port slot showing under the throttle blades and when the idle goes up it makes the advance come up and creates a higher idle again.

Got to go make my kid some supper, I'll check back later to see how it's going for you.

Don.