This has been a great string of info.

Let me see if I can really get everyone upset by seeing if I can summarize what I have learned, heard, etc. from this and the other posts.

For a stock 440 or one with a moderate cam:

16 to 18 initial timing, 36 to 38 full advance. The new Mopar electronic dist. can be modified for total advance using the Mallory (MAA-29014) plastic gauge kit.

Distributor springs should kick in about 100 rpm higher than what the car is idling at and advance fully in place no later than 2500 rpm. (per the Mallory instructions on the idle setting)

Power Valve shoud be set at 1/2 the vacuum reading you get on the center carb, with the car in neutral.

Outboard carbs, for an automatic, should have their idle mixture screws opened over one turn, maybe one and a quarter to one and a half (per Larry Shepard's tuning book on the outside number). Sticks seem to work at 3/4 to one turn. Use the finger trick on the outboard carbs once close to set. (By the way, I can adjust my rear outboard carb on the car by using a very long, thin, screwdriver that I got at Ace and by my having replaced the mixture screws with new Holley screws, which stick out further on the baseplate. I go at each at an angle and can just get each one)

Center carb idle mixture is adjusted using a vacuum gauge, going for highest vacuum, with the car in gear. Vacuum seems to vary wildly by car but 10 to 14 seems to be the range. 10 being low and should be investigated for leaks and other set up issues unless the cam is large.

Carb jets on the center carb should probably be at 64 or maybe higher. The 62 that is stock is too lean.

Vacuum advance usage on the dist. is trial and error as you drive.

OK...what did I miss or get wrong?

'69 Hemi Charger 500, ‘70 U code Challenger R/T
(These and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

P.J. O'Rouke: "The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."