Quote:

Fab work is definitely needed for the chevy transmission, along with an adapter such as the wilcap plate mentioned. However if a person has a car in which a 500/518 won't fit without modding the crossmember, and if said person is dead set against that, doing a bit of extra work to get the chevy transmission to work would more likely to be worth it to them than it would be to you or me. I would sooner just mod the crossmember if it really needed it, because none of my cars are worth much anyway, I'm not scared of modding and it's not visible after.

You say the 200-4R is the weaker one, others online say the 700-R4 is the weaker one. I don't know who is right, I've heard claims both ways. I don't really care because I'm not in the market for either of those transmissions anyway. I know both of them will need more upgrades dumped into them to holdup behind a big block, where a 518 with a race rebuild kit and that transgo shift kit will do the job. To run the GM trans, at a minimum you will need a new driveshaft, trans adapter, fab trans mount and an aftermarket kickdown cable. Not sure what speedo cable will mate that trans up to your stock speedometer but I'm sure there's one. The point is it can be done with a reasonable amount of work.

All these items can be done, even the speedo cable you can get. So, it is up to the owner as to which way to go.
I would use the reverse manual vb on either tranny, if it were me. I like to shift gears without the clutch.
Also, all these items you would need for the 518, except the adapter.