Quote:

The GV unit will take 0hp away from your normal 3 speed operation where as the A500 is always robbing some hp because it drives thru the OD all the time. They say it can rob as much as 1sec in ET...

I have never seen one scrap of evidence to back up this claim. Not saying it's impossible, but I have never seen anything to substantiate this at all. Until I see a real, all things equal comparison between the two, I'm going to have to put this one right up there with the other myths like the thin wall 70's 440 blocks and low nickel late 70's mopar blocks.

Quote:

Before I committed to it I asked around if this transmission would be a good choice for a motorhome (weighs 6500 pounds) and was told that the overdrive part would be too weak for this application. I ended up just building a standard 727. I would have liked the extra mileage. Now I have a new '74 camper which is around 7000 pounds and interested in overdrive again but this rig already has a good 727 in it and wonder if this shortie overdrive would work.

So they didn't think the 518 would work in a 6500-7000lb motor home but it works just fine in dodge pickups that weigh 5000lbs on their own + tow that much in trailers, cars, campers, etc. A good rebuild kit and the transgo tfod-hd2 shift kit is the ticket. With the right combination of parts you can also install extra clutches in the overdrive tail unit.