Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

how about the turbo 400 has better converter choices? I couldn't even get a converter for my car with the 727 unless i made some concessions.

As for the intermediate aluminum drum your not going to see it in the et but it will put less strain on the clutch pack on the 1-2 shift when that drum has to stop spinning. I don't know how much power your car makes but a pretty much stock pre 1968 turbo 400 will live thru 1200 hp no problems (as long as its a quality rebuild with the correct clearences and clutches). All of the *built* ones just have the bigger sprag and drum the earlir ones had. Also if your going to use a ultra bell on the front of it you need to find a 8 bolt pump case/core to build your trans.

After 12-1500 hp you can buy the good shafts and drums but you still will be cheaper than a lenco anything except the cool factor.

For converter choices I here that is true. I think it has something to do with the space in the bellhousing limiting the choices on cores.

The factory early sprag will not live reliably anywhere near the power levels you mention. 750 HP is about the limit. There is a "Super sprag" available.

Also, the later 6 bolt pumps can be drilled to 8.

Allan G.

correct....I should have said with a 34 element sprag installed.

No, the 34 element sprag is just a factory upgrade sprag over the factory 16 element. Outer race remains the same and eventually becomes the weak spot. Case lugs for intermediate clutch also have a tendancy to blow out.
The Super sprag is a Cady front drive 36 element sprag machined into a 4L80E drum. Cost for this bad boy is at least $680 from my supplier.
Allan G.

well i guess a lot of cars tha leave my shop only make 750hp then.

And I guess I havn't proven anything with "only" 928 HP heavy street car using a TH400 either...

I have no fight here. I did use the word "reliably", didn't I ??

Allan G.

1970 Challenger w/572 Hemi street car and my pride and joy. 1986 T-Type with 272 Stage 2 Buick V6 engine - True 8 second street car. Just updated the engine and put down 928 HP @ 35# boost to the ground on chasis dyno. 1976 Cee Bee Avenger Jet Boat - 460 Ford powered.