Compwedge, you are RIGHT ON THE MONEY there.

For a performance engine build, 800 is not out of line. Checking clearances, maybe needing to get + or - .001 bearings, deburring parts, file fit and deburr rings, install cam bearings, wash the block and all the parts ( properly ), final assembly, it all adds up and when its done properly, it takes TIME.

Add setting up the top end, checking valve spring pressures and installed heights, valve to guide clearance, rocker arm alignment, etc. and it should easily be another $500.

I'm not an engine guy, but I am in a trade-type business. IF someone wants me to provide a service, and stand behind my work, sure no problem. Knock me down on my price, no thanks, go somewhere else.

BTW, if it's a Hemi, and you are having him assemble the short block only, I don't blame him for not degreeing the cam without having the Heads. He could set it at the cam grinder's spec with out having the heads, but to me that's only part of the degree job. With the heads on he can check piston to valve clearance at different degrees of crank rotation.

I wouldn't degree it without the heads either. If he did, you bolt the heads on, and fire it up only to have the valve hit the pistons, you'd come back with your head on fire accusing him of not doing his job. There's more to it than bolting stuff together. I know this, and I'm no expert. The real pros know.

Last edited by Gumbydammit; 08/18/11 06:33 PM.

I'm Gumby dammit!