You want this guy to do the work, so you must trust him, BUT, you want him to negotiate his price for his years of experience, and 100,000s + dollars of machinery and so forth. Why should he? He gave you a price, that he feels he NEEDS to make to do the job. He has overhead, anticipated " trouble" with parts ( I dont care who you are, unless you've done this, you dont understand how many things you need to fix during assembly) and other wages and bills to pay. As mentioned above, at $75.00 an hour, and 10 hours labor ( which it can very easily go over), he is being fair. You dont like his price, but it is what he needs to make.

Would you like to go to work today and have your boss ask you to take a lesser wage, because he " thinks" you are getting paid too much, and he'd like to save some money this week and pay you a little less ? He likes you and everything, but hey, he's trying to crunch some numbers for corporate. Each job you do he wants to negotiate a better hourly wage from you. Do you go to the grocery store, and start negotiating for a better price on apples and fruit? You get what I am saying. I dont know why it is, that engine shops are considered scoundrels and thieves if they actually charge for about 75% of the actual time they put into a build, and most usuallly go above and beyond, and give way more than they charge, and are expected to be " on call" 7 days a week for free. I could go on and on...

Pay them man, get the job done right, and trust the shop to supply you with a well built engine.
Thats what you ultimatley want right or you'd be doing it yourself ?

My

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.