09/09/09 11:11 AM
Germany, Northcoast
Buschi340 Offline OP
mopar
Buschi340  Offline OP
mopar

Germany, Northcoast
Hi guys,
I need some advise on Roller Rockers. What is the best bang for the buck and where to buy? My original setup is making so much noise in the last few weeks that I'm thinking of something new. And why not a set of roller rockers.
Something similar to Crane.... I want to keep the hydraulic lifters so I need adjustable or not or doesn't it matter? Where do I have to pay attention on?

Any tip is welcome before I'm wasting my money.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Michael

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: Buschi340] #463842
09/09/09 11:57 AM
09/09/09 11:57 AM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
If your lifters or rockers are noisy you have other problems. Find out what it is and fix it. Roller rockers are not the answer. Unless you need rollers because you have alot of spring pressure on a big cam there will on other advantage to using the roller rockers other than the 'WOW' factor. The only thing that they may do is give you a bit more accurate rocker ratio and you can get that with a moderately priced set of doctile iron rockers and not worry abour the rollers self distructing. Remember that going with a set of adjsutables that you will need push rods too. This from Dulcich:

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: MoparforLife] #463843
09/09/09 12:48 PM
09/09/09 12:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Comp cams magnum roller rockers are a nice setup,mine cost just over $400.00..but since Dulcich states i don't need them i'm going to run out to the garage and take them off..

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers #463844
09/09/09 01:10 PM
09/09/09 01:10 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

but since Dulcich states i don't need them i'm going to run out to the garage and take them off..

BTW - he has forgot more than you will ever know.
If you like them, run them, you ain't gaining squat, unless you are running a Chevy they need all the help they can get, maybe that is what you are thinking. I will spend my money for something more cost efficient.
If you are running a Chevy they need all the help they can get, maybe that is what you are thinking.

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: MoparforLife] #463845
09/09/09 01:14 PM
09/09/09 01:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

but since Dulcich states i don't need them i'm going to run out to the garage and take them off..

Still the smart ---.
If you like them, run them, you ain't gaining squat, but I will spend my money for something more cost efficient.

You or Dulcich have numbers to prove your/his claim??..i doubt it..by the way believe nothing you read in those rags,they print that crap so people buy them..

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers #463846
09/09/09 01:53 PM
09/09/09 01:53 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Yeah, I just happen to have personal experience with this. Unlike some, I don't post unless I have personal experience with subject at hand. I ran a complete season + with 1.6 rollers and compared to the numerous seasons that I ran with the the OEM 1.5 type rockers and the rockers that are currently installed on the car. I went from a best of 11.712 flat to a best with the 1.6 rollers to 11.698. I luckily found a rube for the rollers and sold them for about what I had in them (they weren't eBag specials either) and am still running with the MP stamped rockers.
A couple of other locals are are running with rollers on 440's and they also have gained nothing but are still running them because they have them. But you don't want to believe that so:
run what you want - beleive what you want. This exerpt from Hughes sight even if you don't believe writen words. They also wouldn't right it without back up knowledge seeing how they sell the parts. - In the late 50s the O.E.M. stamped rockers started to fail from the high spring pressure with the more aggressive camshafts and higher RPMs and so-called fully rollerized rockers were developed. For the most part, we are talking Chevys here but you've got to start somewhere. The needle roller bearings were used at the trunion because of the Chevy's problem of not having full engine oil pressure at that pressure point, like Mopars do. Needle roller bearings were used because they can operate with very little oil and no pressure, although they provide no friction reduction over a plain bearing surface. Most high RPM (14000 19000RPM) race engines use full oil pressure to these high stressed areas and use no needle bearings;they utilize a plain bearing type surface. Now this can mean anything from an aluminum rocker or steel rocker to something with a special surface treatment (conditioning) to a material like a D.L.C. (diamond like carbon) coating or some similar frictionless coating on the shaft and/or the rocker. The coated or treated rockers are definitely on the high dollar end of the group but they are the most durable and highest power deliverers, because of the reduced friction and harmonics. The needle bearing rockers are a fairly cost-effective solution but they have reduced life expectancy. All the pressure and shock in the valve train is concentrated on 1 or 2 needles at the most.

The rockers only rock in a small arc of approximately 25 or 30. If the rocker or the shaft actually rotated the needles would live longer. Here again is a conundrum. The smaller needles spread the load over more needles, but they are more fragile you just cant win! Some of the roller rockers even have needle rollers in the roller at the tip of the rocker. The unit loading is very high with needle bearings. All these extra parts are just more points of potential failure.
Oh yeah, I personally have seen them break and have little needle bearings scattered through the motor.

Clean it, if it's Dirty. Oil it, if it Squeaks. But: Don't fix it, if it Works!
Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: Buschi340] #463847
09/09/09 06:32 PM
09/09/09 06:32 PM
Tucson, AZ
C
cruzin Offline
super stock
cruzin  Offline
super stock
C

Tucson, AZ
I will leave the debate as to whether or not there is any performance gains by going with roller rockers vs. the stamped OEM to others.

I will add that it is my understanding that the OEM may vary as to their true ratio. Perhaps this is due to manufacturing/quality control or wear over time etc. I seem to recall that they tend to vary and are oftentimes found to be <1.5.

The other consideration you may need to look at if you end up going with a roller rockers is the need to purchase a spacer kit as well. This cost additional $$ if that's a factor.

Good luck and hope you achieve the desired affects.

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: cruzin] #463848
09/09/09 07:25 PM
09/09/09 07:25 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

I will leave the debate as to whether or not there is any performance gains by going with roller rockers vs. the stamped OEM to others.

I will add that it is my understanding that the OEM may vary as to their true ratio. Perhaps this is due to manufacturing/quality control or wear over time etc. I seem to recall that they tend to vary and are oftentimes found to be <1.5.

The other consideration you may need to look at if you end up going with a roller rockers is the need to purchase a spacer kit as well. This cost additional $$ if that's a factor.

Good luck and hope you achieve the desired affects.

I believe if you go back to my post you will see that I credited any improvement if any to a more accurate ratio. I had Cranes and they came with the spacers. I also stated to find the noise problem first and recommended a doctile iron adjustable set instead of the rollers if a truer ratio and adjustables is what you want. On the street you will never notice a performance difference. But again it is up to you, it is your car.

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: MoparforLife] #463849
09/10/09 04:15 AM
09/10/09 04:15 AM
Germany, Northcoast
Buschi340 Offline OP
mopar
Buschi340  Offline OP
mopar

Germany, Northcoast
Thanks a lot for the good advises, MoparforLife.

Most what I'm concerned about is, as you noted, what happens if a bearing fails and loses a pieces straight into the engine. That's what I'm most afraid of. Did it happen? Is there something known?

The rattling noise I guess is coming from worn out rockers or shaft. Think I have to check this first. But they are now 30 years old. And why should I purchase a new OEM set if a Roller Rocker Set does cost similar?
Hm, I will ask a buddy if he does have a set for lend.
Cam is new, slightly hotter than stock 340, custom grinded to my car specs. Lifter & pushrods are new.

I not defenitly in need of roller rocker - I'm looking for "better than stock" because I have to change so I thought why not roller rocker.

Thanks again so far.

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: Buschi340] #463850
09/10/09 06:14 AM
09/10/09 06:14 AM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Yes they do break as I have posted above, I have seen it happpen, not just onece either.

You won't get a decent set of rollers for the price of a set of OEM rockers or a set of doctile iron adjustable rockers either for that matter. Like said above you will also need a set of push rods if you go with adjustable rockers. If you want adjustables get yourself a set of 273 rockers and a set of push rods for a engine with hydraulic lifters and adjustable rockers. OEM 273 mechanical push roda are way to long to use with hydraulic lifers.
If you are looking for wear on the rockers it is a going to be a tough call You will take off a cover and see that there is a large gap between the rocker shaft and the top of the rocker arm, this is completely normal and is that way new.
I would sure check out an see what kind of noise you are hearing. It could also be a exhaust leak.. A lot of people make this mistake.

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: MoparforLife] #463851
09/10/09 08:13 AM
09/10/09 08:13 AM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
make sure you dont have a new lifter going flat also

exhast leaks will make you think rockers/lifters are ticking,I chased it for yrs and it was exhast leak

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: Buschi340] #463852
09/10/09 08:22 AM
09/10/09 08:22 AM
Greenville, PA
redraptor Offline
master
redraptor  Offline
master

Greenville, PA
It would be nice to get a set of Magnum roller tip rockers 1.52 ratio like the chebby and ferd guys have for less than $200. I'd buy 'em in a heartbeat(oops).

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: Buschi340] #463853
09/10/09 08:41 AM
09/10/09 08:41 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

Thanks a lot for the good advises, MoparforLife.

Most what I'm concerned about is, as you noted, what happens if a bearing fails and loses a pieces straight into the engine. That's what I'm most afraid of. Did it happen? Is there something known?

The rattling noise I guess is coming from worn out rockers or shaft. Think I have to check this first. But they are now 30 years old. And why should I purchase a new OEM set if a Roller Rocker Set does cost similar?
Hm, I will ask a buddy if he does have a set for lend.
Cam is new, slightly hotter than stock 340, custom grinded to my car specs. Lifter & pushrods are new.

I not defenitly in need of roller rocker - I'm looking for "better than stock" because I have to change so I thought why not roller rocker.

Thanks again so far.

if you think the noise is from worn rockers/shafts, PM me, I have a set of OEM rockers from a low mileage 318 that are in excellent shape that I'll make you a deal on.

another thing to check would be to make sure your pushrods are long enough. lots of noise, about the only thing I can think of that could cause it would be insufficient preload.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: patrick] #463854
09/10/09 09:20 AM
09/10/09 09:20 AM
md
M
mopars4ever Online content
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Online Content
I Live Here
M

md
Quote:

Comp cams magnum roller rockers are a nice setup,mine cost just over $400.00..but since Dulcich states i don't need them i'm going to run out to the garage and take them off..

Good, I`ll give you twenty bucks for them plus a autographed summit racing sticker.

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: scratchnfotraction] #463855
09/10/09 09:48 AM
09/10/09 09:48 AM
Germany, Northcoast
Buschi340 Offline OP
mopar
Buschi340  Offline OP
mopar

Germany, Northcoast
ok, I had this noise before and after I changed Lifter, pushrods and Cam. All came from the same shop which is http://www.buyperformanceparts.com/

I will check for an exhaust leak but I really can not imaging that it can sound that mechanical.

Furthermore I will check the Lifter again with pressing a hammer handle on the rockers while engine is running in idle.

Maybe it is a really good advise to have a look at 273 rockers. But I don't want them adjustable, keep the hydraulic lifter. Do these use cup-cup pushrods?

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: Buschi340] #463856
09/10/09 10:50 AM
09/10/09 10:50 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
a small exhaust leak can sound like a mechanical tick, but it usually only happens under load. On my old 360, I did have a little valvetrain noise, nothing loud enough to be annoying, but you could hear it a little with the hood up. the rockers were tight on the shaft, no real noticable wear (egg shaped holes in the rocker, out of round shafts), but the rockers did have some freedom to slide sideways on the shaft, and I'm confident that was the sound I was hearing. some shims or light springs between the rockers, and the rockers and hold downs probably would have eliminated the noise.

setup was a comp XE262, stock pushrods, rockers, and shafts.

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: mopars4ever] #463857
09/10/09 02:09 PM
09/10/09 02:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Good, I`ll give you twenty bucks for them plus a autographed summit racing sticker.

I think i'll have to pass on that fine offer..

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: patrick] #463858
09/11/09 04:04 AM
09/11/09 04:04 AM
Germany, Northcoast
Buschi340 Offline OP
mopar
Buschi340  Offline OP
mopar

Germany, Northcoast
hm, isn't the sideplay not normal on stock rockers? they can slide millimeters sideways... After a lot of stress for my engine a few weekends ago the noise which was always there went a lot louder ( in idle but not that loud (compared to normal engine noise) in higher RPMs ).

But back to topic. I need more from your experiences with roller rockers. Are these also available with bushings insteasd of bearings. And are these worth it??

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: Buschi340] #463859
09/11/09 09:36 AM
09/11/09 09:36 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
what are the exact cam specs? adv. dur, .050 dur, and lift?

unless it's quite large, you're wasting your money on roller or adjustible rockers.

Re: 340 SB Roller Rockers [Re: patrick] #463860
09/11/09 01:27 PM
09/11/09 01:27 PM
Escondido, CA
kick_the_reverb Offline
mopar
kick_the_reverb  Offline
mopar

Escondido, CA
I have a set of bushed stainless steel roller tipped rockers from RAS. But I bought it to be compatible with any future upgrades, the Edelbrock heads I bought had double springs on them, and I was advised they were too much for stock rockers.
If you're staying with a mild cam you don't need anything fancy. You can use stock style stamped, or mechanical style adjustable (can be bushed and ratio corrected by RAS).

Good luck,
Ran

"Hey mister, something's wrong with your car, it idles roughly" - number one comment I got in Israel when daily driving a 70 Barracuda with a lopey cam.

Currently working on - 1966 Dodge A100 van 318/auto
Finally - disc brakes on the front.
In the plans - rear disc brakes, B&M 250 blower
Page 1 of 2 1 2