TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 2boltmain
Originally Posted by AndyF
There are a few classic car dealers in this area. A couple of them have been in business for a long time but I honestly don't know how or why. A lot of the cars are "spray paint restos" with significant problems under the surface.

Perfuming up pigs for a profitable flip is a big industry. Many repair shops on you tube showing a familiar pattern: Person pays BIG $$$$$ for their dream classic car........and then take it to a pro for an evaluation or take it to a pro because it doesn't behave correctly. WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE hacked up mess below the surface! Kiwis Classics and Customs is a shop where a big portion of his business are classic car purchases from dealers, auctions and consignment lots. One car was an absolutely stunning 69 Cougar. Flawless blue paint- built 351 Cleveland, 4 spd all new chrome new interior and new vinyl top. Perfection. But underneath is globby crap welds from an ARC welder- metal roofing material glued in with spot/glazing putty and duct tape. Self tappers, rivets and roofing tar- everything a broke 15 year old did in 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wNmvDyoTO8&t=811s

I could write a book on the htings we've seen from CCD's and auction houses not to mention a few fresh builds from supposedly reputable "Pro's" or maybe that was "Hoe's"
What is sad is the total lack of morals and ethics out there. it's all about the 🤑. A 69 Shelby GT500KR that was bought at BJ took almost 50K to straighten the mechanical and electrical issues on. But hey, the backseat& trunk were full of trophies, awards and platinum certifications from various Shelby authorities whistling beer

Re: Classic car dealers [Re: Rhinodart] #3218190
03/05/24 01:19 AM
03/05/24 01:19 AM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I was just at the Volo Museum and classic car sales yesterday to inspect a car. 90% of the cars there are on consignment, been going there for decades as it is about 5 miles from my house. Usually very nice cars that they know nothing about. Always at least 30% over priced if not more. Of course I go to the auctions and other classic car dealers around the country and most are like that. I find that no reserve auctions usually have a lot of dealer owned or consigned cars that they are just wanting to get rid of and talk the consignors into taking it to auction ... work

One of the main reasons you see a lot of stuff on consignment is because the private party thinks their car is worth a load, they try forever to get rid of it and can’t.
So they take it to a dealer thinking they will get rid of it for them.
Problem is, the figure they give the dealer to work from is obviously already too high, and in order to make any money, the dealer bumps it up even more.
So what happens is the car sits and rots and nobody gets anything.
To listen to in many cases uninformed people on here, you would think only private party cars are ones that could possibly be nice, and priced correctly. That isn’t often the case.
It’s one of the main reason I never asked for a consignment license years ago when we opened our business.
I worked for a place years ago that had a consignment license. Most of the stuff the guy took in on consignment was exactly what I mentioned above, people having issues selling it themselves.
Usually such stuff isn’t worth fooling with, obviously exceptions, and as a dealer you have nothing tied up in it, so sometimes it works out for everybody.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: Classic car dealers [Re: B3422W5] #3218238
03/05/24 10:16 AM
03/05/24 10:16 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Online rolleyes
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Online Rolleyes
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
There is also the issue that a lot of owners do not want to deal with today's buyers. Just look at the aggravations often cited here when it comes to selling just a few parts. Selling a big ticket item is just such a hassle in most cases where the seller wants to get all he can. Then there is the issue of guaranteeing the funds and maybe the quality of the title. Issues that a lot of guys just aren't fluent in and are rightfully concerned about getting screwed in the process.

This is not a recommendation for or affirmation of 'classic car dealers', it is just a few more reasons for their existence.

Master, again and still
Re: Classic car dealers [Re: DaveRS23] #3218766
03/06/24 11:54 PM
03/06/24 11:54 PM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
Boy was I shocked yesterday when my son came back from a work trip and mentioned that he passed one of dealers. I looked them up and good lord, was I surprised. Take a look at several of the vehicles being sold by South Jersey Classics. Specifically, the 1940 Ford COE. Super low mileage mustangs(yeah they are 80s-90's) and heck, the Coronet actually looks decent. Now I didn't look in person, but the Coronet is running a 273 and although there are some flaws, not really a horrible price. I know the Willys is priced about right too. For the COE, I have no idea if it is right priced that looks fun as heck.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3