jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

First off, only 3 people on planet Earth have ever seen a 427 SOHC

I just found out that Im one of three people(I've seen three of them) AND a Hemi owner..and proud of it!
I must be truely special!

Next you're gonna tell me you've seen the elusive dinosaur!!!

There are two cars with the 427 SOHC in my area that I see. One is a 63 Galaxy that is done right as it looks like it came from the factory with it as the guy did a nice job with it. The other is an old hot rod as it looks to be about a 34 or so Ford with the Cammer. Let me tell you I was surprised to see that Cammer in that hot rod as thats the first time I have ever seen one in a hot rod and it got alot of attention. They did run strong when running right. Don Nicholsons Maverick in the 70 to 73 Era of Pro Stock could run with any of them when they had that cammer running right and not breaking parts. You gotta remember its a hemi with overhead cams. Here is a pic of the eng in the 63 Galaxy. Ron

Very cool car.

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: jim sciortino] #1262679
07/30/12 04:31 PM
07/30/12 04:31 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Quote:

Have you ever been in cars with Boss 429, or Cleveland headed engines??? They have trouble falling out of a tree with their poorly balanced factory heads.

The big block chevy in stock iron head configuration is not the killer it is when you throw as much "chevy" as possible in the dumpster and bolt on as much aftermarket as possible.

And......I'll take my chances with a HEMI done right vs the um'.......Buick done right.

When it comes to stock blocks and heads, the ceiling is quite high compared to the "Brand X" crowd. A HEMI on "kill" (beyond a SS/AH build) with a factory block, heads and stroke can push the 2.5hp per inch range. Try that with a Max Wedge. As for the aftermarket....well, that's a whole different ballgame.

But of course you do realize that a HEMI engine also sits at the top of the aftermarket food chain, do you not???

Well you see in the 50s and 60s Ford had a reputation for being an affordable but luxurious car. Good door close quality and craftsmanship were key selling points.

Many people concerned with such things don't enjoy the feel of torque. It pushes you around and gets rid of the smoothness. Ford attempted to compensate for this with goofy suspension compenents, such as 10 feet tall coil springs to absorb as much of the shock of the surrounding environment as possible, as well as the forces of acceleration.

But goofy suspension setups can only do so much. Their brilliant team of engineers turned to good old fashioned component mismatching to produce poorer throttle response than had ever been seen before (that is until the 302 powered Crown Victoria's of the late 70s).

With HUGE ports matched to the lower displacement engines, small ports matched to the larger engines, big cams with two barrel carburetors, huge carbs on small engines, low compression, small carbs on their hotest engines, single exhaust, and tall gears, Ford got the lack of throttle response they were after.

And the Windsor series of engines not only accomplished terrible throttle response, but it has an astounding ability to absolutely annihilate gasoline more inefficiently than any other machine ever produced by man.

But back to the main topic, HEMI IS KING.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: ] #1262680
07/30/12 04:33 PM
07/30/12 04:33 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
The Ford "hemi" combustion chamber was not a true hemispherical chamber but was a slightly curved chamber with multiple angles.

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: jim sciortino] #1262681
07/30/12 04:52 PM
07/30/12 04:52 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I just found out that Im one of three people(I've seen three of them) AND a Hemi owner..and proud of it!

There are two cars with the 427 SOHC in my area that I see. One is a 63 Galaxy that is done right as it looks like it came from the factory with it as the guy did a nice job with it. The other is an old hot rod as it looks to be about a 34 or so Ford with the Cammer. Let me tell you I was surprised to see that Cammer in that hot rod as thats the first time I have ever seen one in a hot rod and it got alot of attention. They did run strong when running right. Don Nicholsons Maverick in the 70 to 73 Era of Pro Stock could run with any of them when they had that cammer running right and not breaking parts. You gotta remember its a hemi with overhead cams. Here is a pic of the eng in the 63 Galaxy. Ron

Very cool car.

I'm in Danbury but I've never seen that thing running around, thats pretty cool though. I spend a lot of time down your way, you should come over to Bills Drive In on 111 on a Saturday night, small cruise but we get a fair amount of cool MoPars there.

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: GTX MATT] #1262682
07/30/12 08:34 PM
07/30/12 08:34 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.

I'm in Danbury but I've never seen that thing running around, thats pretty cool though. I spend a lot of time down your way, you should come over to Bills Drive In on 111 on a Saturday night, small cruise but we get a fair amount of cool MoPars there.

I'm about 3 miles from Bill's....

I was down there with my black Dart maybe a couple months ago. I might make it down Saturday if I have nothing on the calendar.

Some nice MOPARs always show up.

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: B G Racing] #1262683
07/30/12 10:07 PM
07/30/12 10:07 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

To quote Connie Kalitta:The 427 SOHC is a great design for a "handgranade".The concept was great but development was not carried to profection for long term production.The cost and inherant design flaws made it short lived as a viable alternative to the Chrysler Hemis.

Was a GREAT attempt from the FORD camp and it would have made for "severe" rivalry on both the tracks and the streets. NASCAR killed it from the left side and the LACK of ongoing development (on the block itself) killed it from the right side. The people who still run them successfully, had done their homework and do have techniques and improved designs to overcome the "flaws". But again ... it boils down to the money issue.

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: jim sciortino] #1262684
07/30/12 10:26 PM
07/30/12 10:26 PM
-
R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
There is one in these parts that's been around for years...

It's in a Starliner...

The owner is not altogether unfamiliar with a 'SOCK'...

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #1262685
07/30/12 10:29 PM
07/30/12 10:29 PM
Byron, NY
W.I.N. Racing Offline
top fuel
W.I.N. Racing  Offline
top fuel

Byron, NY
Wow ...whats the chances that all three of us(383 man, GTX Matt and myself) are all on the same web board... truely amazing as for seeing a dinosaur...who hasnt?

'01 P1500, Blown/Inj BAE,/Veney ,Bruno/CS2,Dana 60
'01 Dodge 3500 S Cummins Auto, Fresh air kit, 4" Exhaust,
'05 Dodge Magnum R/T - Too Much to list
'60 Willys CJ5
'01 International LPX - Project,DT466, Allison
'64 Plymouth Valiant, Inj 528 Hemi, 2spd
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: W.I.N. Racing] #1262686
07/30/12 10:55 PM
07/30/12 10:55 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
I live in the sticks basically and I've seen and have photos of at least two SOHC engines,it must be like all the extra HemiCuda convts that have been discovered I suppose.

Sheldon

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: W.I.N. Racing] #1262687
07/30/12 11:06 PM
07/30/12 11:06 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Quote:

Wow ...whats the chances that all three of us(383 man, GTX Matt and myself) are all on the same web board... truely amazing as for seeing a dinosaur...who hasnt?

This joint is special.

I'm callin' Guinness!!!

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: jim sciortino] #1262688
07/31/12 12:34 AM
07/31/12 12:34 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

I'm about 3 miles from Bill's....

I was down there with my black Dart maybe a couple months ago. I might make it down Saturday if I have nothing on the calendar.

Some nice MOPARs always show up.

I have seen it twice at Marley Station in Glen Burnie. Course I only get down there about 4 times a summer. Ron

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: W.I.N. Racing] #1262689
07/31/12 02:04 AM
07/31/12 02:04 AM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Quote:

Well that was actually Jim with the picture of that Galaxy running around, I've never seen that car but it is local. I HAVE seen the 34 Ford with the Cammer engine though, so that actually makes 4 of us who have seen one.

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: GTX MATT] #1262690
08/01/12 09:51 AM
08/01/12 09:51 AM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

Have you ever been in cars with Boss 429, or Cleveland headed engines??? They have trouble falling out of a tree with their poorly balanced factory heads.

The big block chevy in stock iron head configuration is not the killer it is when you throw as much "chevy" as possible in the dumpster and bolt on as much aftermarket as possible.

And......I'll take my chances with a HEMI done right vs the um'.......Buick done right.

When it comes to stock blocks and heads, the ceiling is quite high compared to the "Brand X" crowd. A HEMI on "kill" (beyond a SS/AH build) with a factory block, heads and stroke can push the 2.5hp per inch range. Try that with a Max Wedge. As for the aftermarket....well, that's a whole different ballgame.

But of course you do realize that a HEMI engine also sits at the top of the aftermarket food chain, do you not???

Well you see in the 50s and 60s Ford had a reputation for being an affordable but luxurious car. Good door close quality and craftsmanship were key selling points.

Many people concerned with such things don't enjoy the feel of torque. It pushes you around and gets rid of the smoothness. Ford attempted to compensate for this with goofy suspension compenents, such as 10 feet tall coil springs to absorb as much of the shock of the surrounding environment as possible, as well as the forces of acceleration.

But goofy suspension setups can only do so much. Their brilliant team of engineers turned to good old fashioned component mismatching to produce poorer throttle response than had ever been seen before (that is until the 302 powered Crown Victoria's of the late 70s).

With HUGE ports matched to the lower displacement engines, small ports matched to the larger engines, big cams with two barrel carburetors, huge carbs on small engines, low compression, small carbs on their hotest engines, single exhaust, and tall gears, Ford got the lack of throttle response they were after.

And the Windsor series of engines not only accomplished terrible throttle response, but it has an astounding ability to absolutely annihilate gasoline more inefficiently than any other machine ever produced by man.

OK.. I'll humor your "humor"! After ALL in the end, we're Moparites HERE. Hmm... Your HUMOR:

#1 Why would you DRIVE a "Cleveland or Boss 429 powered car up a tree? Driving skills must be that of a kid with a 3hp go-kart. Lot of hp and torque, can't fool around with it.

#2 to a point! It takes a very-skilled mind and top notch machine work to make power with a mostly stock Chevy engine.

#3 Buick engines get better and BIGGER every year!
And they ARE "right". Been giving the Mopar HEMI and WEDGE engines "headaches" for YEARS!

#4 Stock stroke, heads and factory block HEMI engine pushing 2.5 hp per ci? I believe the "production" RACE HEMI was rated in the 550-575 hp range, maybe 600 at it's absolute best. Max-wedges were
probably down 50-75 hp from the above figure...BUT they had ample mid range torque to run against the HEMI. On the track or street, the HEMI may get there first, but NOT BY MUCH!

#5 As far as being "at the top of of the aftermarket food chain" , the HEMI is surpassed by CHEVROLET!!

#6 AS far as the FORD issues are concerned, Fords TRUE "drawbacks" lie within three problem areas:

In the 50's, their cars had some power but most models were unattractive to buyers looking for performance sedans.

During the 60's' again they had performance but the cars were too large and weighty (most of their "hot" motors were in full size sedans). They did start the ponycar "trend" which is STILL successful today!

As far as their motor design flaws there are some BUT most, if not all, can be corrected with factory parts or the aftermarket. Ford is VERY close to CHEVY in terms of "aftermarket usage". And yes, despite their "shortcomings", MOST FORD
engines DO make power! The "Windsor-head" motor has become an excellent "base" for serious stroker motors. Just as the Mopar 340/360 is. Ok, it's gas guzzler , but I believe that "works" for ANYTHING "out-of-tune"!

Now, as far as the TOPIC is concerned, "HEMI IS KING"! I thought that it was read "HEMI VS WEDGE"! I don't remember ANY "landslide" victories, HERE!

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #1262691
08/01/12 11:26 AM
08/01/12 11:26 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK.. I'll humor your "humor"! After ALL in the end, we're Moparites HERE. Hmm... Your HUMOR:

#1 Why would you DRIVE a "Cleveland or Boss 429 powered car up a tree? Driving skills must be that of a kid with a 3hp go-kart. Lot of hp and torque, can't fool around with it.

#2 to a point! It takes a very-skilled mind and top notch machine work to make power with a mostly stock Chevy engine.

And they ARE "right". Been giving the Mopar HEMI and WEDGE engines "headaches" for YEARS!

#4 Stock stroke, heads and factory block HEMI engine pushing 2.5 hp per ci? I believe the "production" RACE HEMI was rated in the 550-575 hp range, maybe 600 at it's absolute best. Max-wedges were
probably down 50-75 hp from the above figure...BUT they had ample mid range torque to run against the HEMI. On the track or street, the HEMI may get there first, but NOT BY MUCH!

#5 As far as being "at the top of of the aftermarket food chain" , the HEMI is surpassed by CHEVROLET!!

#6 AS far as the FORD issues are concerned, Fords TRUE "drawbacks" lie within three problem areas:

In the 50's, their cars had some power but most models were unattractive to buyers looking for performance sedans.

During the 60's' again they had performance but the cars were too large and weighty (most of their "hot" motors were in full size sedans). They did start the ponycar "trend" which is STILL successful today!

As far as their motor design flaws there are some BUT most, if not all, can be corrected with factory parts or the aftermarket. Ford is VERY close to CHEVY in terms of "aftermarket usage". And yes, despite their "shortcomings", MOST FORD
engines DO make power! The "Windsor-head" motor has become an excellent "base" for serious stroker motors. Just as the Mopar 340/360 is. Ok, it's gas guzzler , but I believe that "works" for ANYTHING "out-of-tune"!

Now, as far as the TOPIC is concerned, "HEMI IS KING"! I thought that it was read "HEMI VS WEDGE"! I don't remember ANY "landslide" victories, HERE!

OK, lets go over this again, because its been a while now...

What production engine could you name me that in 1975, with an unlightened car(3500#) could run a best of 10.30's@134MPH with the following mods.

Non stroke 426ci
stock block
stock oil system
untouched heads.
stock rockers.
stock crank & rods
stock 4 speed trans -no slick shift
stock Dana 60.

Mods limiited to:
-12.5:1 pistons. Balance assembly.
-Aftermarket intake(Rat Roaster-No mods)
-reworked stock carbs
-Racer Brown solid cam 70's technology.
-Headers 2-1/8 tube.
-Dual point distributor
-Holley Red pump.
-4.88 Gears.

Those mods on any of the other brand X stuff might get you into the 11's if you are lucky. A 427 Corvette would get you into the 10's, but we all know how many inherent advantages the actual "car" has so its more the car than the motor there.

MB

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: HPMike] #1262692
08/01/12 11:33 AM
08/01/12 11:33 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What production engine could you name me that in 1975, with an unlightened car(3500#) could run a best of 10.30's@134MPH with the following mods.

Non stroke 426ci
stock block
stock oil system
untouched heads.
stock rockers.
stock crank & rods
stock Dana 60.

Mods limiited to:
-reworked stock carbs
-Headers 2-1/8 tube.
-Dual point distributor
-Holley Red pump.
-4.88 Gears.

Those mods on any of the other brand X stuff might get you into the 11's if you are lucky. A 427 Corvette would get you into the 10's, but we all know how many inherent advantages the actual "car" has so its more the car than the motor there.

MB

well it's NOT 1975 and when you bring your $5500 (what I have in my 440) Hemi to the track let me know, I'll line up w/ you.

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1262693
08/01/12 12:33 PM
08/01/12 12:33 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Non stroke 426ci
stock block
stock oil system
untouched heads.
stock rockers.
stock crank & rods
stock Dana 60.

Mods limiited to:
-reworked stock carbs
-Headers 2-1/8 tube.
-Dual point distributor
-Holley Red pump.
-4.88 Gears.

MB

well it's NOT 1975 and when you bring your $5500 (what I have in my 440) Hemi to the track let me know, I'll line up w/ you.

Whats your point? Everyone knows Hemi's are more expensive up front. So are Boss 9's over 390's. And L88's over 396's.

I dont care if its 1975 or 2020. Point is do the same level of mods to your stock 440 and I'd have you covered by 1.5 seconds and 12-14 MPH. Thats if your stock valvtrain doesn't crap the bed or your 906 heads dont crack.

If the question was I need to make 600 horse and I only have 7 grand to spend, then the clear answer is go wedge.

Sheesh...

MB

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: HPMike] #1262694
08/01/12 01:18 PM
08/01/12 01:18 PM
Mt. Eden Ky.
Hemi Allstate Offline
master
Hemi Allstate  Offline
master

Mt. Eden Ky.
If Chrysler engineers thought that the "wedge" would "get the job done" the 426 Hemi would not exist.

1996 Ram 1500 Sport
1968 road runner
1952 Sears Allstate licensed, pump gas, Hemi 5.98 @ 115.73 1.33 60 ft. The best is yet to come. Painless Performance / Street RODDER magazine Top 100 for 2019
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: Hemi Allstate] #1262695
08/01/12 01:25 PM
08/01/12 01:25 PM
st.cloud fl
D
d-150 Offline
Smarter than a 5th grader?
d-150  Offline
Smarter than a 5th grader?
D

st.cloud fl
Aftermarket equalled the playing field with wedge motor. in 1970 hemi. today pretty much equal

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: d-150] #1262696
08/01/12 02:19 PM
08/01/12 02:19 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Also remember in the 90's Alderman used a wedge in his Pro Stocker to win the championship. I believe it was a type of B-1 head on it ? Ron

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1262697
08/01/12 07:44 PM
08/01/12 07:44 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.

Non stroke 426ci
stock block
stock oil system
untouched heads.
stock rockers.
stock crank & rods
stock Dana 60.

Mods limiited to:
-reworked stock carbs
-Headers 2-1/8 tube.
-Dual point distributor
-Holley Red pump.
-4.88 Gears.

MB

Hmmmmmm.....interesting retort.

My turn.....

1. I know a little about torque.....my HEMI has about 1200tq. Lo and behold, I haven't put it in a tree......yet.

2. You take an factory BBC iron head and factory block.....I'll take a factory iron HEMI head and block. Max effort engines and lets see which one has a higher ceiling. I know where my money will be.

3. Buick??? "Shirly" you jest??? I ain't talkin' bout some stock style "rules" class.....I'm taking about serious engines built for racing.

4. Reading is FUNdamental. Go back and re-read what I said and you'll see I was speaking of a REAL N/A deal, beyond a SS/AH build. A top of the hill SS HEMI makes 1000+. Do you not think without the restrictions of SS, it wouldn't make more??? A RAW Millennium head as the foundation, dry sump, "trick" crankshaft, light rods, piston guided rods, any piston/ring combination w/max vac, Ti valve, two dominators, etc. and development time. You don't believe that would approach 2.5???

5. The HEMI is surpassed by the chevy on the aftermarket food chain??? Not on my planet. Last I checked the top aftermarket HEMI engines were in the 10,000hp range....running 320+ to 1000ft. You do realize that an AJ, or BAE is aftermarket HEMI......do you not???

6. As far as fords go, they have the same support as chey does in the aftermarket. You can build a killer with either one. The stock ford big dog heads flowed like the Mississippi river on the intake side, (with slow airspeed)...which is where the "port plugs" and "port plates" came in handy, but a crushed garden hose on the exhaust side, in a number of instances. I've seen it on the bench. Can all these engines make power??? Sure they can.....I ain't here to poop on anyone's stuff.

Now for the good stuff.....

I don't care what happened in 1975 and I don't care that a HEMI cost more to build than a 440. We all know that. What we all should also know, is the HEMI has a higher ceiling than the wedge when both engines are topped out.

It would seem after reading the last sentence, that I've just been challenged to an acceleration contest, sooooooooo.......let me say this......

Unfortunately, I don't have 5500 clams in my HEMI engine. I have more than that in the PSI screw that sit atop it.

!!!BUT!!!

I have $5499.99 invested in a lowly smallblock (wedge) MOPAR with factory heads, intake and block sitting in my barn door shaped 70' Dart, that I drive regularly on the street. Would you like to "line up w/me" with that.....for a few coins???

I don't care what you have as long as it's a registered, street driven car, on motor.

Is ya in???

Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16