Byron, NY
W.I.N. Racing Offline
top fuel
W.I.N. Racing  Offline
top fuel

Byron, NY
Quote:

Quote:

Can't believe people are still "debating" this topic. The Hemi is better...Period...And its not even close..

MB

: BUT there are a LOT of WEDGE motor racers who say different. And they aren't backing off!!

I can understand that...nobody
likes to openly admit to being wrong!

'01 P1500, Blown/Inj BAE,/Veney ,Bruno/CS2,Dana 60
'01 Dodge 3500 S Cummins Auto, Fresh air kit, 4" Exhaust,
'05 Dodge Magnum R/T - Too Much to list
'60 Willys CJ5
'01 International LPX - Project,DT466, Allison
'64 Plymouth Valiant, Inj 528 Hemi, 2spd
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: W.I.N. Racing] #1262659
07/28/12 02:22 PM
07/28/12 02:22 PM
Holly/MI
D
Dean_Kuzluzski Offline
master
Dean_Kuzluzski  Offline
master
D

Holly/MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Can't believe people are still "debating" this topic. The Hemi is better...Period...And its not even close..

MB

: BUT there are a LOT of WEDGE motor racers who say different. And they aren't backing off!!

I can't believe this thread is still going.............

clearly some need to compensate for apparent shortcomings by flaunting a Hemi when a wedge can be sufficient. Wedge motors make great Rv/truck grunt motors and cruiser/street machine/bracket racers. Why spend money where it doesn't need to be spent?

I clearly recall a certain member on here that sold his Hemi to go faster with a B1 Wedge in a very nice 70 Challenger.

The wedge was for the masses and the Hemi was the elite race motor that was flown for its glory. Get over it.

R.I.P.- Gary "Coop" Davis 02/09/68-05/13/04
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: W.I.N. Racing] #1262660
07/28/12 04:31 PM
07/28/12 04:31 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MB

I can understand that too..... by being WRONG means you run FAST for LESS (like most of the members here) To be RIGHT means you're WELL-OFF or "financially secure" to run the HEMI, I guess. Must be nice!!

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #1262661
07/28/12 05:02 PM
07/28/12 05:02 PM
long island NY
A
Ari440 Offline
master
Ari440  Offline
master
A

long island NY
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MB

I can understand that too..... by being WRONG means you run FAST for LESS (like most of the members here) To be RIGHT means you're WELL-OFF or "financially secure" to run the HEMI, I guess. Must be nice!!

the truth is : YOU SCARED OF THE WEDGE MOTOR

TO COMPARE THE WEDGE TO THE HEMI MAKES YOU FEEL DOMINATE OVER THE WEDGE MOTOR

YOU NEED $80.000 RACE SS/HA HEMIS TO BEAT A WEDGE MOTOR

DONT BE SCARED

1.39 9.85 - 137 mph
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: Ari440] #1262662
07/28/12 11:22 PM
07/28/12 11:22 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Respectfully, HEMI owners you do have a RIGHT to BOAST ... but don't beat up the WEDGE owners in the process. They defended the Mopar legacy for decades. I wonder how you guys would "fare" against the 427 SOHC "Cammer" or the Boss 429? Or the Cleveland-head motors? Do "Supersized" Rat motors pose more OR less of a threat these "days"? How about the deadly 430 and 455 Buick torque monsters? Nobody wants to talk about that (the above motors)!! Yeah, it's EASIER to "pick" on your siblings, BUT.. harder for you to BEAT the "Brand X" (no not Russell Brand ) rivals!! Say it isn't so.

"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #1262663
07/29/12 10:26 AM
07/29/12 10:26 AM
Byron, NY
W.I.N. Racing Offline
top fuel
W.I.N. Racing  Offline
top fuel

Byron, NY
My comments are in line with absurdity of the "Argument". Meaning that opinions vary from one person to the next on just about everything, Small block vs. Big Block, Mopar vs Chevy vs. Ford, cars vs. boats etc...but as the original posted said STOCK HEAD Hemi vs. STOCK HEAD BB would not be worth the effort unless it was 500". That would be incorrect and proven so time and time again, just look back to the early days of pro-stock for examples.
Now as for where this post has turned to, once you (as others have said prior to me) go to aftermarket "race" heads all bets are off. When it comes to MAX performance ($$ is not an issue) they become more equally paired. but the Hemi still cost a little more...that's done to keep out the riff-raff
As for the Hemi in stock configuration compared to the Cammer or Boss...History has proven again the superior motor all things considered.

'60 Willys CJ5
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #1262664
07/29/12 11:03 AM
07/29/12 11:03 AM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Quote:

Respectfully, HEMI owners you do have a RIGHT to BOAST ... but don't beat up the WEDGE owners in the process. They defended the Mopar legacy for decades. I wonder how you guys would "fare" against the 427 SOHC "Cammer" or the Boss 429? Or the Cleveland-head motors? Do "Supersized" Rat motors pose more OR less of a threat these "days"? How about the deadly 430 and 455 Buick torque monsters? Nobody wants to talk about that (the above motors)!! Yeah, it's EASIER to "pick" on your siblings, BUT.. harder for you to BEAT the "Brand X" (no not Russell Brand ) rivals!! Say it isn't so.

First off, only 3 people on planet Earth have ever seen a 427 SOHC and none of those were ever at a traffic light, while 4 people have seen a dinosaur. Have you ever been in cars with Boss 429, or Cleveland headed engines??? They have trouble falling out of a tree with their poorly balanced factory heads.

The big block chevy in stock iron head configuration is not the killer it is when you throw as much "chevy" as possible in the dumpster and bolt on as much aftermarket as possible.

And......I'll take my chances with a HEMI done right vs the um'.......Buick done right.

When it comes to stock blocks and heads, the ceiling is quite high compared to the "Brand X" crowd. A HEMI on "kill" (beyond a SS/AH build) with a factory block, heads and stroke can push the 2.5hp per inch range. Try that with a Max Wedge. As for the aftermarket....well, that's a whole different ballgame.

But of course you do realize that a HEMI engine also sits at the top of the aftermarket food chain, do you not???

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: jim sciortino] #1262665
07/29/12 11:46 AM
07/29/12 11:46 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

First off, only 3 people on planet Earth have ever seen a 427 SOHC and none of those were ever at a traffic light, while 4 people have seen a dinosaur. Have you ever been in cars with Boss 429, or Cleveland headed engines??? They have trouble falling out of a tree with their poorly balanced factory heads.

The big block chevy in stock iron head configuration is not the killer it is when you throw as much "chevy" as possible in the dumpster and bolt on as much aftermarket as possible.

And......I'll take my chances with a HEMI done right vs the um'.......Buick done right.

When it comes to stock blocks and heads, the ceiling is quite high compared to the "Brand X" crowd. A HEMI on "kill" (beyond a SS/AH build) with a factory block, heads and stroke can push the 2.5hp per inch range. Try that with a Max Wedge. As for the aftermarket....well, that's a whole different ballgame.

But of course you do realize that a HEMI engine also sits at the top of the aftermarket food chain, do you not???

Forget it, Jim... Don't bother wasting your time arguing about it. Seems like the wedge guys just think the Hemi devotees are nothing but a bunch of elitist snobs with small manhood syndrome. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact the its just plain a better design!! And all along I thought we were on the same team?

MB

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: HPMike] #1262666
07/29/12 12:27 PM
07/29/12 12:27 PM
long island NY
A
Ari440 Offline
master
Ari440  Offline
master
A

long island NY
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Forget it, Jim... Don't bother wasting your time arguing about it. Seems like the wedge guys just think the Hemi devotees are nothing but a bunch of elitist snobs with small manhood syndrome. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact the its just plain a better design!! And all along I thought we were on the same team?

MB

we all know of the HEMI and its history

no one can deny (sp) it

the hemi from day one was a race motor and detuned to to drive on the street

but to compare a wedge to the hemi is just wrong

1.39 9.85 - 137 mph
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: HPMike] #1262667
07/29/12 03:01 PM
07/29/12 03:01 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MB

I hear ya.....

Thing is, I love me some wedge engine. The most fun car I've owned was a 69' Barracuda with a 499ci Indy 440-1, but to compare the different designs on a performance level borders on foolishness. From stock factory iron to a "fuel" head, the HEMI is the big dog.

In a world with budgets and options, the Indy and B1 stuff are quality pieces and are capable of big power, so maybe we should be happy there are choices.

Although it would be nice to have a HEMI head that bridges the gap between the Millennium and the "pro" stuff.......something along the lines of what the chevy guys have with Raptors, Big Chiefs and Profilers.

Mr. Ray Barton and Mr. Eric Hansen.....are ya listening???

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: jim sciortino] #1262668
07/29/12 07:11 PM
07/29/12 07:11 PM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york

7312660-IMG_2243.JPG (70 downloads)

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
My condition is fully BLOWN!!
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: jim sciortino] #1262669
07/29/12 11:48 PM
07/29/12 11:48 PM
Byron, NY
W.I.N. Racing Offline
top fuel
W.I.N. Racing  Offline
top fuel

Byron, NY

First off, only 3 people on planet Earth have ever seen a 427 SOHC

I just found out that Im one of three people(I've seen three of them) AND a Hemi owner..and proud of it!
I must be truely special!

'60 Willys CJ5
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: jim sciortino] #1262670
07/30/12 04:30 AM
07/30/12 04:30 AM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
First off, only 3 people on planet Earth have ever seen a 427 SOHC and none of those were ever at a traffic light, while 4 people have seen a dinosaur. Have you ever been in cars with Boss 429, or Cleveland headed engines???

Tab Talmage (one of Ronnie Lyles friend/rival), had one (427 SOHC) in a Mustang, on the streets of New York City circa mid to late 60's. I guess the other two were split between the owners of the "Gas Ronda" Mustang and Dyno Don Nicholsons' strip rides. (In reality, there were actually MORE owners/racers) The 4 people who saw the dinosaur probably were out "west" (in Texas or Arizona somewhere)
and saw some roadside attraction . And yes,
I have been in cars with Cleveland-head (351's) motors and one with a Boss 429. They ARE fast, once setup RIGHT. Needs gears to get them going. Fortunately, I am a Mopar guy that respects the HEMI, but LOVES the Max-Wedge!! There is NOTHING like the grunt and sound of a multi-carbed Mopar wedge head big block going through the 1/8, 1/4 or on the boulevard. Nothing personal AGAINST the HEMI, Wedge is just my choice of Mopower but DON"T tell me that it's not worthy of it's place in performance history (or...worthless in comparision to other motors).

Last edited by HYPER8oSoNic; 07/30/12 04:38 AM.
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: hemi-itis] #1262671
07/30/12 04:41 AM
07/30/12 04:41 AM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Nice touch on the plate holder.

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: W.I.N. Racing] #1262672
07/30/12 10:00 AM
07/30/12 10:00 AM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Quote:

I just found out that Im one of three people(I've seen three of them) AND a Hemi owner..and proud of it!

Next you're gonna tell me you've seen the elusive dinosaur!!!

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: jim sciortino] #1262673
07/30/12 10:08 AM
07/30/12 10:08 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

To quote Connie Kalitta:The 427 SOHC is a great design for a "handgranade".The concept was great but development was not carried to profection for long term production.The cost and inherant design flaws made it short lived as a viable alternative to the Chrysler Hemis.

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: B G Racing] #1262674
07/30/12 10:43 AM
07/30/12 10:43 AM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

To quote Connie Kalitta:The 427 SOHC is a great design for a "handgranade".The concept was great but development was not carried to profection for long term production.The cost and inherant design flaws made it short lived as a viable alternative to the Chrysler Hemis.

This was exactly the problem with the SOHC...

Most of the unfortunate souls that actually got to see one in the flesh were killed in the inevitable explosion.

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: jim sciortino] #1262675
07/30/12 01:42 PM
07/30/12 01:42 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

Quote:

There are two cars with the 427 SOHC in my area that I see. One is a 63 Galaxy that is done right as it looks like it came from the factory with it as the guy did a nice job with it. The other is an old hot rod as it looks to be about a 34 or so Ford with the Cammer. Let me tell you I was surprised to see that Cammer in that hot rod as thats the first time I have ever seen one in a hot rod and it got alot of attention. They did run strong when running right. Don Nicholsons Maverick in the 70 to 73 Era of Pro Stock could run with any of them when they had that cammer running right and not breaking parts. You gotta remember its a hemi with overhead cams. Here is a pic of the eng in the 63 Galaxy. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 07/30/12 01:46 PM.
Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: 383man] #1262676
07/30/12 02:10 PM
07/30/12 02:10 PM
-
R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
Together with the 6-foot long timing chain...

Re: Hemi vs Wedge [Re: 383man] #1262677
07/30/12 03:01 PM
07/30/12 03:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There are two cars with the 427 SOHC in my area that I see. One is a 63 Galaxy that is done right as it looks like it came from the factory with it as the guy did a nice job with it. The other is an old hot rod as it looks to be about a 34 or so Ford with the Cammer. Let me tell you I was surprised to see that Cammer in that hot rod as thats the first time I have ever seen one in a hot rod and it got alot of attention. They did run strong when running right. Don Nicholsons Maverick in the 70 to 73 Era of Pro Stock could run with any of them when they had that cammer running right and not breaking parts. You gotta remember its a hemi with overhead cams. Here is a pic of the eng in the 63 Galaxy. Ron

Im digging that GM alternator

Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16