06/18/12 07:19 PM
06/18/12 07:19 PM
Toronto, Ont, Canada
boydsdodge Offline OP
super stock
boydsdodge  Offline OP
super stock

Toronto, Ont, Canada
1974 Swinger, rebuilt front suspension, not very old rear suspension.
Here is what I have.
Reinforced welded K/Frame,Firm Feel adjustable strut rods,
reinforced lower control arms with rubber bushings, 11 3/4 front disc brakes,1 1/16th front sway bar,.98 torsion bars, C-body tie rod ends,
rebuilt steering box with a supposed firmer feel,
urethane strut and sway bar bushings,
Bilstien shocks, welded in 2x3 sub frame connectors through the floor,
235/60/15 Yokohama front, 255/60,15 Yokohama rear,
older Mopar performance extra heavy duty rear springs with front hanger flipped,
all new bushings urethane shackle bushings.

The car was driving fine before the rebuild, but I thought I would make some improvements and preventative maintenance, now after the rebuild when I am on the highway taking an off ramp mostly wide left my cars rear feels as if its got it's own steering going on back there and the faster I get from 40 MPH my steering box feels empty up center wider and wider with speed.
I can't just hold steady on the ramp like I was able to do before and it's actually a bit scary in traffic all moving at speed of 60 to 75 Mph.
What did I do wrong or what do you guys think might be wrong?
Ask for more info if needed.
Also had a $200.00 alignment because he had to adjust strut rods, and torsion bars.
Man it's hard to find a good intelligent alignment shop around here.
Alignment specs are:
5deg positive caster
1/2deg neg camber
1/16th toe in
25" to top of front wheel well,
5.25" inch to bottom of K Frame.
8.75" to bottom of lower ball joint.

almost forgot, I also get the feeling of torque steer when I hit throttle during highway drive.
Thanks.

Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: boydsdodge] #1253250
06/18/12 07:39 PM
06/18/12 07:39 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Recheck all ball joints, steering gear and coupler for play. I've seen new UBJ's that were not swaged properly on top that were loose out of the box from the manufacturer. Probably will take two people, one to watch and one to move components back and forth. Check wheel bearing front and back. For an $200 alignment, would have been nice for that guy to give you some extra inspection time.

Aside...Still seems like to much $$$ for a $200 alignment. But next time set you T-bars height at your place. And even up the strut rod distance to factory length at home.

Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: autoxcuda] #1253251
06/18/12 08:00 PM
06/18/12 08:00 PM
Toronto, Ont, Canada
boydsdodge Offline OP
super stock
boydsdodge  Offline OP
super stock

Toronto, Ont, Canada
I had it all set to where I wanted but he went changing things on the height until I told him I was at the height I wanted,then he had to put it back to my height I had originally.

The struts I had set to what I measured square, but he said needed a half turn and one turn,
He called it a custom job so I had to pay.
The front feels great for solo runs but higher up in speed its a drunk.
Could this be bump steer? Maybe too tall a side wall? Maybe but it felt better before rebuild.

Seat of the pants feels like the rear end is moving fore and aft cause it's own steering input.
All is tight back there.

Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: boydsdodge] #1253252
06/18/12 08:09 PM
06/18/12 08:09 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
See if you got slop in your idler arm.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: boydsdodge] #1253253
06/18/12 08:12 PM
06/18/12 08:12 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

I had it all set to where I wanted but he went changing things on the height until I told him I was at the height I wanted,then he had to put it back to my height I had originally.

The struts I had set to what I measured square, but he said needed a half turn and one turn,
Could this be bump steer? Maybe too tall a side wall? Maybe but it felt better before rebuild.

Seat of the pants feels like the rear end is moving fore and aft cause it's own steering input.
All is tight back there.

With what you are describing it could be a variety of factors. First things I would check:
-every thing he touched is tightened back down
-ensure hub bearings and all ball joints are still tight
-rear axle is square with front, may be that the rear axle is canted front to rear (check trueness of wheels back there too)
-double check the toe, sounds like handling of the car when I run a lot of toe out for tighter autocross, then try to drive it home.

Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1253254
06/18/12 08:56 PM
06/18/12 08:56 PM
Toronto, Ont, Canada
boydsdodge Offline OP
super stock
boydsdodge  Offline OP
super stock

Toronto, Ont, Canada
Cool, thanks guys for quick input.,
I will do another check of all hardware to make sure.

Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: boydsdodge] #1253255
06/18/12 09:19 PM
06/18/12 09:19 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
The specs sound good... both parts and alignment. But is still doesn't drive right.

The poly lower bushings can allow some slop in LCA position and steering depending on tolerences but the adjustable strut rods should take that out. Suggest you double check for any extra clearance around the LCA bushings. I believe best is to set strut rod length before installing T bars. Adjust length for very slight pre-load of the bushings as you sweep the LCA up and down but no binding. After that, ask your alignment guy to please leave it alone. Same on ride height. Set it on a pair of ramps with the rear on axle stands and ask your alignment guy to leave it alone. Camber, caster and toe sh
ould do it.

Agree inspection of all the other parts is in order. For the front, I like to put the front wheels on a tall set of ramps and get a helper to turn the wheel back and forth while I check for unwanted movement. For the steering box itself, have the motor running so the pump has pressure. For the rear, in addition to visual of the bushings and shackles, check U bolts and axle end play.

For the alignment, agree as posted double check everything after you have gone over it. 1/16" is probably enough toe in but I'd shoot for more like 1/8" for the street especially with bigger/wider tires.

Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: boydsdodge] #1253256
06/18/12 09:38 PM
06/18/12 09:38 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Are your leaf springs flat and/or level at rest with the new springs and flipped hangers?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: boydsdodge] #1253257
06/18/12 10:43 PM
06/18/12 10:43 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Screw that guy.

Sounds like he has good recommendations from people, but maybe he is taking advantage of it. A guy that would charge another $200 to inspect your suspension. Like he's the only game in town. Maybe he is. But I sort of doubt it. Might be time to buy you own alignment tools for those prices or do some more shop searching.

Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: ahy] #1253258
06/18/12 10:46 PM
06/18/12 10:46 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

The specs sound good... both parts and alignment. But is still doesn't drive right.

The poly lower bushings can allow some slop in LCA position and steering depending on tolerences but the adjustable strut rods should take that out. Suggest you double check for any extra clearance around the LCA bushings. I believe best is to set strut rod length before installing T bars. Adjust length for very slight pre-load of the bushings as you sweep the LCA up and down but no binding. After that, ask your alignment guy to please leave it alone. Same on ride height. Set it on a pair of ramps with the rear on axle stands and ask your alignment guy to leave it alone. Camber, caster and toe sh
ould do it.

He said he's running stock rubber LCA bushings. So should be fine IF everything was pressed in properly.

Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: autoxcuda] #1253259
06/18/12 10:59 PM
06/18/12 10:59 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Quote:

Quote:

ould do it.

He said he's running stock rubber LCA bushings. So should be fine IF everything was pressed in properly.

Yep... missed the rubber LCA bushings.

Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: ahy] #1253260
06/19/12 12:39 AM
06/19/12 12:39 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
If the car starts to feel loose as speed increases or during acceleration, I'd be looking at something related to the rear. Front hangers for the leaf springs, the attachment bolt, the U-bolts holding the axle to the springs, the shackles....
Also do a check of the wheelbase on BOTH sides of the car. Standart Dart Swingers had an 111" wheelbase. Demons and Dart Sports used a 108 WB. Being out even 1/4" can cause trouble. If the alignment was a "Thrust" type, wouldn't that show up on the sheet?

Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: Kern Dog] #1253261
06/19/12 09:11 AM
06/19/12 09:11 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
I'd be sure to tell the guy that you'll spread the word on his price gouging for work that he did, that you didn't ask him to do, and asked him to UNDO it.

he seriously charged you $200 to tweak the torsion bars without asking you about it, then to set it back where it was after he did the unauthorized work? and that's a "CUSTOM" alignment?!

I had one shop pull that crap on me, and I haven't been back since.

shame on them, I was a loyal customer, went to them for everything I needed, tires, alignments, dismount tires to add a patch, etc. took my dakota there with Hotchkis suspension, asked for specific alignment specs, the ones that Hotchkis calls for. without batting an eye, the guy said "ok, no problem"

then surprised me when I went to pick it up with a bill that was $150. I pointed to the board and said "says right there a 2 wheel alignment is $70."

that's when he pulled the "custom" crap, even when I pointed out that the numbers I asked for were WITHIN the factory range of settings, just that I was looking for specific settings.

turns out asking the guy to hit a specific number is impossible, but getting them within a few hundredths is manageable, but is too hard for the tech to do, because he doesn't get to move stuff around until the squares on the computer screen turn green, and he has to actually walk over to look at the numbers.

And I've not been back to him since.

big surprise to me, the "big box tire store" that was just put in recently, had MUCH better service. I took another vehicle into him, a buddy's Dakota. just asked for "in the green" standard alignment. but, we had just replaced the transmission, and hadn't gotten the reverse lock-out hooked up yet, or get the clutch or transmission broke in yet. the brakes were brand new and hadn't set themselves yet. When I mentioned all this to the manager, just so their tech was aware of it when he test drove it afterwards, he said "tell ya what. you take it home, drive it around, and if you don't like how it feels, bring it back, we'll give you 3 months to come back in for a free adjustment if something doesn't feel right on it"

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: boydsdodge] #1253262
06/20/12 11:10 AM
06/20/12 11:10 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
lets put this in a simple sequence;

1-Car felt fine before rebuild.
2-Rebuild was exclusive to the front end, no rear end work was done (? question because you didn't address this specifically).
3-The drive to the shop felt fine but not perfect(? because you didn't address this specifically).
4-alignment shop changed ride height, then reset height, then peformed alignment.
5-Drive after the alignment feels sloppy.

I'd say that contingent upon the answer to #3, the shop may have forgotten to tighten something back down after the set up was achieved. Since the tech demonstrated that he was not fully listening to your directions initially, he may have rushed through the rest of the work and forgotten to torque everything back down and once you pulled out of the bay, the setting changed. This loose part could be tight enough that you can't move it by hand, but it is not tight enough to hold a load.

If it felt this way on your drive to the shop, then something you replaced was not seated correctly or you didn't torque things down enough during re-assembly.

Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: TC@HP2] #1253263
06/20/12 05:52 PM
06/20/12 05:52 PM
Toronto, Ont, Canada
boydsdodge Offline OP
super stock
boydsdodge  Offline OP
super stock

Toronto, Ont, Canada
The car felt fine after the alignment but not right so I took it to another shop in another town that was recommended to me, he checked it out camber was uneven, and set it straight.
This was my first consistent above 50mph to 90mph run I was able to get in.(I live in a heavy urban area, nice place but still heavy traffic slow speeds)
So when I was able to get up to speed it was a different feel then what I was expecting.
As I originally wrote it was a complete front end rebuild with very good parts, the rear is all new within a few years and torques up to spec.
Rear springs have a 2.5inch arch with the reversed front hanger.(maybe I should try the Hotchkiss rear spring kit)
Could this be in the steering box?
I do regret rebuilding the original box as it felt great but had a leak.
Could it be that the new front end and better shocks are showing me too soft of tires?
P.S. Thanks again for all the great replies.

Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: boydsdodge] #1253264
06/21/12 02:21 AM
06/21/12 02:21 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Rotate your tires for the heck of it.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: TC@HP2] #1253265
06/21/12 11:34 AM
06/21/12 11:34 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

lets put this in a simple sequence;

1-Car felt fine before rebuild.
2-Rebuild was exclusive to the front end, no rear end work was done (? question because you didn't address this specifically).

They way I understood the OP, the rear was changed (flipped hangers,used SS leafs, etc), we still don't have a clear answer.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1253266
06/23/12 02:31 PM
06/23/12 02:31 PM
California, USA!!!
W
WheelsUp73 Offline
enthusiast
WheelsUp73  Offline
enthusiast
W

California, USA!!!
Quote:

Quote:

All is tight back there.

With what you are describing it could be a variety of factors. First things I would check:
-every thing he touched is tightened back down
-ensure hub bearings and all ball joints are still tight
-rear axle is square with front, may be that the rear axle is canted front to rear (check trueness of wheels back there too)
-double check the toe, sounds like handling of the car when I run a lot of toe out for tighter autocross, then try to drive it home.

Sounds like a toe out problem to me.
Here is a vid of the frontend of my car. No death wobble here and the car at 130 plus is as stable as it gets.
My car wandered around a bit before the rebuild of the front end.
I use a nylon lower control arm bushing and the uppers are heim joints,
http://youtu.be/LWD9sbw_UWk

Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: WheelsUp73] #1253267
06/23/12 02:44 PM
06/23/12 02:44 PM
California, USA!!!
W
WheelsUp73 Offline
enthusiast
WheelsUp73  Offline
enthusiast
W

California, USA!!!
if you have a printout of the alignment post it.

Re: my car feels drunk. [Re: boydsdodge] #1253268
06/23/12 07:20 PM
06/23/12 07:20 PM
Toronto, Ont, Canada
boydsdodge Offline OP
super stock
boydsdodge  Offline OP
super stock

Toronto, Ont, Canada
Quote:

1974 Swinger, rebuilt front suspension, not very old rear suspension.
Here is what I have.
Reinforced welded K/Frame,Firm Feel adjustable strut rods,
reinforced lower control arms with rubber bushings, 11 3/4 front disc brakes,1 1/16th front sway bar,.98 torsion bars, C-body tie rod ends,
rebuilt steering box with a supposed firmer feel,
urethane strut and sway bar bushings,
Bilstien shocks, welded in 2x3 sub frame connectors through the floor,
235/60/15 Yokohama front, 255/60,15 Yokohama rear,
older Mopar performance extra heavy duty rear springs with front hanger flipped,
all new bushings urethane shackle bushings.

The car was driving fine before the rebuild, but I thought I would make some improvements and preventative maintenance, now after the rebuild when I am on the highway taking an off ramp mostly wide left my cars rear feels as if its got it's own steering going on back there and the faster I get from 40 MPH my steering box feels empty up center wider and wider with speed.
I can't just hold steady on the ramp like I was able to do before and it's actually a bit scary in traffic all moving at speed of 60 to 75 Mph.
What did I do wrong or what do you guys think might be wrong?
Ask for more info if needed.
Also had a $200.00 alignment because he had to adjust strut rods, and torsion bars.
Man it's hard to find a good intelligent alignment shop around here.
Alignment specs are:
5deg positive caster
1/2deg neg camber
1/16th toe in
25" to top of front wheel well,
5.25" inch to bottom of K Frame.
8.75" to bottom of lower ball joint.

almost forgot, I also get the feeling of torque steer when I hit throttle during highway drive.
Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2