Quote:

Yea I can not set car @ 900 rpm, where it probably should be, it is a 4 speed. as soon as I turn idle up and get to about 870-880 it just takes off to the 1050-1150 as stated above and stays there, then have to loosen idle screw to get it back down, only does this if vac adv hose hooked up,won't do this if I plug, but I want it hooked up and it all to work the way it is supposed to. I do not know what else to try before buying a new distibutor.

get a vacuum pump gauge on the vacuum advance. disconnect the hose at the carb, and plug the gauge in there. take off the distributor cap, and see at what level of vacuum the plate starts to rotate. sounds like it is set very low, and is advancing as soon as you hit the 800 rpm range or so.

i don't know about the older distributors, but with the newer ones you can stick a small allen wrench in the hole on the vacuum advance canister where the hose plugs into. with that, you can loosen or tighten the springs on the vacuum advance, so it comes in with more/less vacuum, as needed by your situation.