Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I beleive a lot of the high dollar imports, Lexus, BMW, Jaguars, Mercedes Benz as well as some others come from the factory with pure sybthetic oils in the engines. I think that maybe some American cars do also, maybe not I know a lot of NHRA class racers swore that there cars pick up ET and MPH when they switch to multi viscoty synthetic oils

Cab,

I have 2 Mercedes that everyone & the dealer swore had to have synthetic in them. I back tracked down the EU and API specs for lube oil on each model, selected an appropriate conventional oil and put it in. That was collectively 150k miles ago.

I tried the synthetic in the race car once, didnt see any appreciable wear improvement, but had indications of low viscosity at temperature.

Some cars experience tremendous oil consumption on long highway runs. My 30,000 mile GT Mustang used 4 quarts of 5w30 mobil 1 oil when I drove it across country a few years back.

Some designs cause problems. I know the LS1 came out and one issue that caused oil consumption was the PCV arrangement. I put a catch can deal on mine and it stopped using oil. Had to empty the little can every so often though.