Quote:

Quote:

Ron, what I remember(limited) was the Hemi cars spun the snot out of the tires, worse than the M.W. cars did back then I was 19 then and the information disemination was nowhere like it is today I did attend several(5 or 6) drag races at Fontana drag city that summer, lots of Max wedge Dodges and Plymouths of all three years, even saw the Flying Dutchmen, Brutus and one of Mickey Thompson early funny cars there Hayden Profitt was big on the west coast back then, he had multiple cars, all M.W. Plymouths 4 speeds if I'm remembering correctly Time marches on

That may be very true as it says in the new Ramcharger book that the Max Wedge was aproacing 500 hp and the first Hemi's hit 550 with ease but were no faster on the track. Tire spin makes much sense. Course we dont think about tire spin that much now a days with the tires out now. Ron

. The new found power of the HEMI engine
overwhelming the tires of yesteryear is a distant
memory now that there are STICKIER compound tires nowadays. The 60ft times were slower back then with the HEMI, than the M-W, due to massive torque (at a slightly higher launch rpm). The M-W's had their problems also, but
there was more development time on those (M-W) combos and they were pretty much "dialed-in" by the time the HEMI's came to the track!! The HEMI's
had the power, but at the time, a BIT too much to put down to the ground. As the tach needle swung to the right, the torque/hp increased in a HEMI.

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)