Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just check and see how much faster the Max Wedges were at the 64 Winternats. Heck the Max Wedge was the fastest SS cars there and the Hemi had not even hit the track yet. Butch Leal won the stick class in his Thunderbolt at 12.10 and the auto Max Wedge cars ran like 11.70's and won the auto class of course. I think it was Indy in 64 that the old Ramcharger 63 car ran 11.30's and outran everything there. Closes Thuderbolt was around 11.70 I believe. Ron

Ron, I think your wrong on the Hemi cars at Pomona in 1964, I'm sure they where there, maybe not allowed in SS/AA or SS/A due to not being in production at the beginning of the model year in Sept 1963 They may have been the the first production AFX cars Maybe I'm wrong

I have read that they were not happy with the Hemi at first and decided to get it running better before it made its track apearence. Thats why I have heard it was only Max Wedge cars at the 64 Winter Nats. I believe it talks about it in the new Ramcharger book also that they changed cams in the Hemi to get it running better. They said at first they were no faster then the Max Wedge cars. Ron

I believe that it was a two-fold issue. The Mopar engineers found out how STRONG the HEMI was and
enhanced, (redesigned the heads/camshaft packages) it's BREATHING potential, and the Max-Wedges at that time were MUCH MORE tractable off the line especially with the proven 727 trans (just about equal with the A833 stick setup) in 60 ft/quarter-mile times. So in this transitional era, Mopar was STILL ing the competition!! Everyone else was chasing their tire smoke!!

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)