The tuned runner length (I think 15" IIRC) of the Max Wdge intake was designed for a 426 motor with maybe 260cfm of airflow, on a 505" motor it is clearly going to limit the RPM peak torque occurs and (as a result) also limit the top end HP (similar to how too small a collector and/or too long a runner length on a header does). You will sacrifice some torque below your present peak torque RPM and the shorter (as also less restrictive) runner will shift the Torque peak RPM upwards and will proportionally raise the peak HP RPM (with the same heads and cam). That all sounds great on paper but remember if your stall and gearing are more or less optimized for your present set up, you may need proportionally more stall/flash and/or gear to get the new combo working efficiently with the new/higher "sweet spot".

Cross sections and runner lengths are in a way similar to barrel lengths, trajectory angles and resultant distances/drops in ballistics,Change one variable and you have effected the others. There is an optimum length/cross section/tuned length that charges the cylinder for a given desired port velocity for your cylinder volume.

Long runners are typically not optimum for long stroke motors with good heads and adequate compression if higher peak RPM horsepower is your goal, at least they never have been on any motor I've worked on. Too long a runner is more or less equivalent to too small a cross section above peak torque RPM...it acts as a restriction to airflow which obviously starts to limit HP by increasing pressure differential.

I'd like to compare a SV to the Indy-3 on a dyno but even still I suspect a longer runner/smaller cross section design may help a heavier B or E body combination than it would a lighter (say A body car) car with the same stall/flash and gearing.

Last edited by Streetwize; 12/31/10 07:01 PM.