Quote:

Wow. I didn't know they even existed back then. Learn something new here every day.

I believe rear shoulder belts became an option on all models starting in 1968. Very unusual to see them, most I've seen have been on executive's cars where they checked every possible box on the option list.

My '68 Barracuda fastback didn't come with shoulder belts at all. In the front there isn't even the threaded holes to mount them but the mounts for the rears are there up at the top by the rear windows. If you have one of these cars you'll see a small dimple in the metal trim panel, this is where you drill the hole for them.

Sedans mounted them behind the seats and they came up through the package tray, I think most of the package trays started having perforated sections where they could be knocked out so the dealer could install them.

If you want to see something really odd, look for a convertible with front shoulder belts. They come all the way from the back seats to the front. Had a '69 Dart convertible at the junkyard with bench seats and the front shoulder belts. All in blue too.